Meade.../ Grant

  • Jenny Holder
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2001
      Hi Tom G,
      Have just read your article about "Mr Grant Goes to Washington" 1995 Blue and Gray. I enjoyed it immensely as your method of writing has a joviality, liveliness and a sparkle.

      I haven't read much about Meade but you have drawn to the attention about the unflattering descriptions of him by his men....." a damned old goggle-eyed snapping turtle".

      This description and his violent temper and his  build could be the indications that he was suffering from thyrotoxicosis perhaps. Was there any mention of this? Am not diagnosing it but it suddenly dawns on me about his characteristics. I wonder if anyone could comment on this.

      The other question about Grant's toomb in NYC. How is the endeavour to shift it to Ohio going? What is the latest on that.....my personal opinion is that it is just befitting for him and Julia to rest there surely.
      Thank you for enlightening me more about this quiet, determined , unpretentious and humble achiever.
      best regards
      Jenny