Re: Brice's crossroads

  • brooksdsimpson@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2001
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., clarkc@m... wrote:

      > Just something I've read (so it must be true! ;) ) 2 or 3 times,
      but
      > as I frequently reread books it might be from one place...
      >
      > Did Grant see these forays by Van Dorn and Forrest as an
      opportunity
      > to nab them, or at least Forrest?

      Yes, certainly as to Forrest. On December 18, he told D.D. Porter
      that he hoped "to drive them {Forrest and other raiders] to the
      river." Van Dorn's dash was a different thing altogether, but that
      was because of the disaster at Holly Springs. Grant's correspondence
      in the days immediately preceding Holly springs displays a lot of
      confidence about nabbing Forrest and Jackson -- but virtually nothing
      about Van Dorn comes from him, although he does get reports.