Re: [civilwarwest] What if Johnston had replaced Pemberton at vicksburg?

  • tsalagibra@aol.com
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 5, 2000
      In my opinion, Pemberton did the absolute best job he could with the
      resources at hand. I agree that Johnston would have surrendered a lot
      sooner. Pemberton, a native of Pennsylvania, tried a couple of times to link
      up with Johnston's army for a two pronged attack against the Federals.
      Around the area of Black River(?) but Johnston never showed up.
      And as we know, that was the turning point in the war....not Gettysburg.

      Steve
    • bobwatt@webtv.net
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 7, 2000
        Grant-15,000
        Buckner-13,000
        Col NB Forrest took 2000 and pulled out. Very smart move on his part
        Jreb