Re: [civilwarwest] What if Johnston had replaced Pemberton at vicksburg?

  • hvonbork@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2000
      Is it not fair to say Pemberton did a very good job in defending a beseiged
      city? The problem with Pemberton, I think, is allowing himself to get into
      that position in the first place.
      Von
    • hvonbork@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2000
          Your logic, as far as it goes, is impeccable!

          Based on fact, Johnston did the best he could with what he had.

          In all his battles (don't know about Seven Pines), he was outnumbered,
          at times 2 to 1, fought many brilliant holding actions and when flanked
          or his Army was in peril, conducted outstanding retrograde (retreat)
          movements. He sought to fight Sherman several times, but was denied by
          his subordinates failures. For this he was (and still is) criticized by
          those heroes in hair shirts, who would fight to the last drop of YOUR
          blood. Johnston, in my mind is owed thanks by thousands of southerners,
          who lived and returned to their homes, rather than be sacrificed as 7000
          were at Franklin and another 5000 at Nashville and after.

          Don Plezia