[civilwarwest] Western Regiment

  • Mike Meno
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2000
      Can anyone reccomend an interesting Union regiment which fought in most
      western battles? Thanks.

      Your Obedient Servant:

      Mike Meno

    • Clyde Thompson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 4:51 AM
        Mike Meno:
        Two outfits that I like Mike are
        33 rd Ohio, Of which my great grandfather
        was a member. Or the 78th PVI which I have
        re-enacted with. Clyde Thompson
        CL3454@...

        =====
        Clyde

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Terry Arliskas
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1 6:02 AM
          Hi Mike -

          Boy, are you opening yourself up on this one - we've all got our favorites
          and I'm sure you'll get 100 suggestions. Being a Badger myself, I'm partial
          to Wis. troops and you could just about take your pick as most went West -
          15th Wis is an interesting bunch (Island No. 10, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga,
          Georgia campaign) - mostly Norweigan immigrants, but included one company of
          Germans. Commands were given in three languages! 14th Wisc. is a good
          regiment, and of course I am most partial to the 29th Wisc., "Hovey's
          Ironclads", but there's not much out on them (am doing a regimental history
          myself).

          Also like the 11th Indiana "Lew Wallace's Zouaves" - brigaded with the 29th
          Wis., but saw action at Shiloh. Couple of regimentals on them and they were
          a tough bunch, and the 46th Illinois was a good regiment too - couple of
          regimentals on them as well. Good luck - any Western (Illinois, Indiana,
          Iowa, Michigan) regiment will give you good stuff - as inscribed on a CW
          monument here in Wisconsin: "When you think of valor, look to the West. Ask
          the rebels, they knew it best"!

          Terry Arliskas, 29WVI

          >From: "Mike Meno" <neho69@...>
          >To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
          >Subject: [civilwarwest] Western Regiment
          >Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 05:10:09 GMT
          >

          >Can anyone reccomend an interesting Union regiment which fought in most
          >western battles? Thanks.
          >
          >Your Obedient Servant:
          >
          >Mike Meno

          >Save up to 75% on watches, knives, gifts and more with FREE Shipping
          >and a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee at screaminghotdeals.com
          >
          >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/

        • Bill Brown
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4 2:03 PM
            At 05:10 AM 04/01/2000 GMT, you wrote:
            >Can anyone reccomend an interesting Union regiment which fought in most
            >western battles? Thanks.

            Hi!

            How about the 9th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which was an all-German outfit.
            I believe that the unit used German as their primary language for orders,
            and their regimental history is in German also.

            Regards,
            Bill

            "Mix 'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights"
            [Major General George H. Thomas, USA]

            *******************************
            William H. (Bill) Brown, C.A.
            Governors' Records Archivist
            North Carolina State Archives
            4614 Mail Service Center
            Raleigh, NC 27601-4614
            919-733-3952 (T), 919-733-1354 (F)
            wbrown@...

            "Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
            agency."
          • Bill Brown
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4 2:03 PM