[civilwarwest] Western Regiment

  • Mike Meno
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2000
      Can anyone reccomend an interesting Union regiment which fought in most
      western battles? Thanks.

      Your Obedient Servant:

      Mike Meno

    • Clyde Thompson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 4:51 AM
        Mike Meno:
        Two outfits that I like Mike are
        33 rd Ohio, Of which my great grandfather
        was a member. Or the 78th PVI which I have
        re-enacted with. Clyde Thompson
        CL3454@...

        =====
        Clyde

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Clyde Thompson

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1 6:02 AM
            Hi Mike -

            Boy, are you opening yourself up on this one - we've all got our favorites
            and I'm sure you'll get 100 suggestions. Being a Badger myself, I'm partial
            to Wis. troops and you could just about take your pick as most went West -
            15th Wis is an interesting bunch (Island No. 10, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga,
            Georgia campaign) - mostly Norweigan immigrants, but included one company of
            Germans. Commands were given in three languages! 14th Wisc. is a good
            regiment, and of course I am most partial to the 29th Wisc., "Hovey's
            Ironclads", but there's not much out on them (am doing a regimental history
            myself).

            Also like the 11th Indiana "Lew Wallace's Zouaves" - brigaded with the 29th
            Wis., but saw action at Shiloh. Couple of regimentals on them and they were
            a tough bunch, and the 46th Illinois was a good regiment too - couple of
            regimentals on them as well. Good luck - any Western (Illinois, Indiana,
            Iowa, Michigan) regiment will give you good stuff - as inscribed on a CW
            monument here in Wisconsin: "When you think of valor, look to the West. Ask
            the rebels, they knew it best"!

            Terry Arliskas, 29WVI

            >From: "Mike Meno" <neho69@...>
            >To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
            >Subject: [civilwarwest] Western Regiment
            >Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 05:10:09 GMT
            >

            >Can anyone reccomend an interesting Union regiment which fought in most
            >western battles? Thanks.
            >
            >Your Obedient Servant:
            >
            >Mike Meno

            >Save up to 75% on watches, knives, gifts and more with FREE Shipping
            >and a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee at screaminghotdeals.com
            >
            >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/

          • Terry Arliskas
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1 6:02 AM
              Hi Mike -

              Boy, are you opening yourself up on this one - we've all got our favorites
              and I'm sure you'll get 100 suggestions. Being a Badger myself, I'm partial
              to Wis. troops and you could just about take your pick as most went West -
              15th Wis is an interesting bunch (Island No. 10, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga,
              Georgia campaign) - mostly Norweigan immigrants, but included one company of
              Germans. Commands were given in three languages! 14th Wisc. is a good
              regiment, and of course I am most partial to the 29th Wisc., "Hovey's
              Ironclads", but there's not much out on them (am doing a regimental history
              myself).

              Also like the 11th Indiana "Lew Wallace's Zouaves" - brigaded with the 29th
              Wis., but saw action at Shiloh. Couple of regimentals on them and they were
              a tough bunch, and the 46th Illinois was a good regiment too - couple of
              regimentals on them as well. Good luck - any Western (Illinois, Indiana,
              Iowa, Michigan) regiment will give you good stuff - as inscribed on a CW
              monument here in Wisconsin: "When you think of valor, look to the West. Ask
              the rebels, they knew it best"!

              Terry Arliskas, 29WVI

              >From: "Mike Meno" <neho69@...>
              >To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
              >Subject: [civilwarwest] Western Regiment
              >Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 05:10:09 GMT
              >

              >Can anyone reccomend an interesting Union regiment which fought in most
              >western battles? Thanks.
              >
              >Your Obedient Servant:
              >
              >Mike Meno

              >Save up to 75% on watches, knives, gifts and more with FREE Shipping
              >and a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee at screaminghotdeals.com
              >
              >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/

            • Bill Brown
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4 2:03 PM
                At 05:10 AM 04/01/2000 GMT, you wrote:
                >Can anyone reccomend an interesting Union regiment which fought in most
                >western battles? Thanks.

                Hi!

                How about the 9th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which was an all-German outfit.
                I believe that the unit used German as their primary language for orders,
                and their regimental history is in German also.

                Regards,
                Bill

                "Mix 'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights"
                [Major General George H. Thomas, USA]

                *******************************
                William H. (Bill) Brown, C.A.
                Governors' Records Archivist
                North Carolina State Archives
                4614 Mail Service Center
                Raleigh, NC 27601-4614
                919-733-3952 (T), 919-733-1354 (F)
                wbrown@...

                "Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
                agency."
              • Bill Brown
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4 2:03 PM