[civilwarwest] Western Regiment

  • Mike Meno
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2000
      Can anyone reccomend an interesting Union regiment which fought in most
      western battles? Thanks.

      Your Obedient Servant:

      Mike Meno

    • Mike Meno

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2000
          Mike Meno:
          Two outfits that I like Mike are
          33 rd Ohio, Of which my great grandfather
          was a member. Or the 78th PVI which I have
          re-enacted with. Clyde Thompson
          CL3454@...

          =====
          Clyde

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Clyde Thompson

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2000
              Hi Mike -

              Boy, are you opening yourself up on this one - we've all got our favorites
              and I'm sure you'll get 100 suggestions. Being a Badger myself, I'm partial
              to Wis. troops and you could just about take your pick as most went West -
              15th Wis is an interesting bunch (Island No. 10, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga,
              Georgia campaign) - mostly Norweigan immigrants, but included one company of
              Germans. Commands were given in three languages! 14th Wisc. is a good
              regiment, and of course I am most partial to the 29th Wisc., "Hovey's
              Ironclads", but there's not much out on them (am doing a regimental history
              myself).

              Also like the 11th Indiana "Lew Wallace's Zouaves" - brigaded with the 29th
              Wis., but saw action at Shiloh. Couple of regimentals on them and they were
              a tough bunch, and the 46th Illinois was a good regiment too - couple of
              regimentals on them as well. Good luck - any Western (Illinois, Indiana,
              Iowa, Michigan) regiment will give you good stuff - as inscribed on a CW
              monument here in Wisconsin: "When you think of valor, look to the West. Ask
              the rebels, they knew it best"!

              Terry Arliskas, 29WVI

              >From: "Mike Meno" <neho69@...>
              >To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
              >Subject: [civilwarwest] Western Regiment
              >Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 05:10:09 GMT
              >

              >Can anyone reccomend an interesting Union regiment which fought in most
              >western battles? Thanks.
              >
              >Your Obedient Servant:
              >
              >Mike Meno

              >Save up to 75% on watches, knives, gifts and more with FREE Shipping
              >and a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee at screaminghotdeals.com
              >
              >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/

            • Terry Arliskas
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2000
                Hi Mike -

                Boy, are you opening yourself up on this one - we've all got our favorites
                and I'm sure you'll get 100 suggestions. Being a Badger myself, I'm partial
                to Wis. troops and you could just about take your pick as most went West -
                15th Wis is an interesting bunch (Island No. 10, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga,
                Georgia campaign) - mostly Norweigan immigrants, but included one company of
                Germans. Commands were given in three languages! 14th Wisc. is a good
                regiment, and of course I am most partial to the 29th Wisc., "Hovey's
                Ironclads", but there's not much out on them (am doing a regimental history
                myself).

                Also like the 11th Indiana "Lew Wallace's Zouaves" - brigaded with the 29th
                Wis., but saw action at Shiloh. Couple of regimentals on them and they were
                a tough bunch, and the 46th Illinois was a good regiment too - couple of
                regimentals on them as well. Good luck - any Western (Illinois, Indiana,
                Iowa, Michigan) regiment will give you good stuff - as inscribed on a CW
                monument here in Wisconsin: "When you think of valor, look to the West. Ask
                the rebels, they knew it best"!

                Terry Arliskas, 29WVI

                >From: "Mike Meno" <neho69@...>
                >To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
                >Subject: [civilwarwest] Western Regiment
                >Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 05:10:09 GMT
                >

                >Can anyone reccomend an interesting Union regiment which fought in most
                >western battles? Thanks.
                >
                >Your Obedient Servant:
                >
                >Mike Meno

                >Save up to 75% on watches, knives, gifts and more with FREE Shipping
                >and a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee at screaminghotdeals.com
                >
                >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/

              • Bill Brown
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4, 2000
                  At 05:10 AM 04/01/2000 GMT, you wrote:
                  >Can anyone reccomend an interesting Union regiment which fought in most
                  >western battles? Thanks.

                  Hi!

                  How about the 9th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which was an all-German outfit.
                  I believe that the unit used German as their primary language for orders,
                  and their regimental history is in German also.

                  Regards,
                  Bill

                  "Mix 'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights"
                  [Major General George H. Thomas, USA]

                  *******************************
                  William H. (Bill) Brown, C.A.
                  Governors' Records Archivist
                  North Carolina State Archives
                  4614 Mail Service Center
                  Raleigh, NC 27601-4614
                  919-733-3952 (T), 919-733-1354 (F)
                  wbrown@...

                  "Opinions expressed in this message may not represent the policy of my
                  agency."
                • Bill Brown
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4, 2000