Re: [civilwarwest] So You Knew Sherman

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2001
      Since we have been discussing primarily Union generals, I thought that I
      would try the below 20 questions on you to see how well you know Sherman.
      Give me your answers and I will grade them and send out a report. Guess it
      is the old teacher in me.

      SHERMAN TRIVIA

      SO YOU KNEW SHERMAN

      1. How many brothers and sisters did Sherman have

      2. How old was Sherman when his father died

      3. How old was Sherman when he received the name William

      4. What was name of his foster-father

      5. In what year did Sherman enter West Point

      6. Who were Sherman's two room mates at West Point

      7. Upon graduation from West Point, where was he assigned

      8. How long was Sherman stationed at Ft. Moultrie, SC

      9. Where was Sherman assigned during the Mexican War

      10. On 1 May 1850, a significant occurance happened to Sherman,
      what was it.

      11. How many children did Cump and Ellen eventually have

      12. How many of Sherman's children die during the Civil War

      13, Who was the last Sherman child to die

      14. In what year did Sherman become Superintendent of Louisiana State
      Seminary of Learning.

      15. That institution was predecessor of what school

      16. Give the month and year Sherman resigned from that position

      17. What rank was given to Sherman when he rejoined the army in May, 1861

      18. What was Sherman's first field command (Be specific)

      19. Where did Sherman fight his first battle

      20. Who besides Sherman was appointed Brig Gen on General Orders No. 62
    • theme_music@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2001
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
        > Since we have been discussing primarily Union generals, I thought
        that I
        > would try the below 20 questions on you to see how well you know
        Sherman.
        > Give me your answers and I will grade them and send out a report.
        Guess it
        > is the old teacher in me.

        I'll take a stab at a few of these. I promise my books remain on hte
        shelf unopened.

        > SHERMAN TRIVIA
        >
        > SO YOU KNEW SHERMAN
        >
        > 1. How many brothers and sisters did Sherman have

        Lots. I think the total was 9.

        > 2. How old was Sherman when his father died

        Young. I'll say 7 years old.

        > 3. How old was Sherman when he received the name William

        His foster family, catholics that they were, gave him his christian
        name. I'll say 12.

        > 4. What was name of his foster-father

        Thomas Ewing, US senator from Ohio.

        > 5. In what year did Sherman enter West Point

        1836.

        > 6. Who were Sherman's two room mates at West Point

        I'm guessing, Halleck and Thomas? <g>

        > 7. Upon graduation from West Point, where was he assigned

        Fort Meyers Fla.

        > 8. How long was Sherman stationed at Ft. Moultrie, SC

        I'm guessing 2 years.

        > 9. Where was Sherman assigned during the Mexican War

        Monterrey, California.

        > 10. On 1 May 1850, a significant occurance happened to Sherman,
        > what was it.

        IS this when he left the army?

        > 11. How many children did Cump and Ellen eventually have
        >
        > 12. How many of Sherman's children die during the Civil War
        >
        > 13, Who was the last Sherman child to die
        >
        > 14. In what year did Sherman become Superintendent of Louisiana
        State
        > Seminary of Learning.

        1859.

        > 15. That institution was predecessor of what school

        LSU.

        > 16. Give the month and year Sherman resigned from that position

        January 1861.

        > 17. What rank was given to Sherman when he rejoined the army in
        May, 1861

        Colonel.

        > 18. What was Sherman's first field command (Be specific)
        >
        > 19. Where did Sherman fight his first battle

        Bull Run.

        > 20. Who besides Sherman was appointed Brig Gen on General Orders
        No. 62

        I'll give Wayne a chance to correct me now. (Was that Jesse Appler
        of the 53rd Ohio?)

        Eric