[civilwarwest] Re: Detailes of joining either army? HELP !

  • Terry Arliskas
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2000
      Hello -

      I made the post yesterday regarding how Union regiments were raised and
      mustered into U.S. service, but unfortunatly did not save the post. You can
      go Civil War West web site at www.egroups.com/list/civilwarwest and view all
      posts that have been made. Mine was #708.

      Terry Arliskas
      29 Wis. Vol.

      >From: GARET848@...
      >To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
      >Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Detailes of joining either army? HELP !
      >Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:59:29 EST
      >

      >To each and every one of you who answered me I'd like to say: Thank you!
      >And
      >we very much appreciate your information. As always, I again say I
      >appreciate
      >the "knowledge of the whole".
      >
      >I am embarassed to ask, but one person whose name I did not note ate
      >timereplied with a very detailed description of the recruitment, training,
      >intergration into the ranks for the union army. I had jsut read the reply,
      >read it to may wife and before I could keep unread , save or print I had a
      >brief power outage and the message was deleted as it had been read. If per
      >chance the author or another person on the list still has the message and
      >could resend it or forward it to me I would greatly appreaciate it. Again I
      >am embarassed and regretful to have to ask. I would like to print and
      >retain
      >the reply. I have been forwarding the replies to other who are equally
      >interested.
      >
      >And if others could speak to the formality or informaility of the process
      >in
      >the Confederacy I would especially appreciate additional informtion about
      >the
      >south? Some how I have a impression that the Confederacy was more loosely
      >organized. I read often of soldiers who "went home to help with the
      >harvest"
      >and returned; "went home to check on the family" (Perhaps nice words for
      >desertion?). Perhaps out of desperation the Confederacy would tend to "take
      >help" where ever it came from?
      >
      >Again, thank you for the help.
      >
      >Coy Garrett
      >garet848@...

      >Make history and take part in the first online majority survey.
      >Voice your opinions on american politics and the next president.
      >Have your say at

      >-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=civilwarwest&m=1

    • Terry Arliskas
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2000

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22, 2000

        • TsalagiBra@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22, 2000
            Coy,
            I believe this was what you were looking for.

            Steve

            Subj: [civilwarwest] Re: Detailes of joining either army?
            Date: 03/21/2000 11:42:07 AM Pacific Standard Time
            From: tarliskas@... (Terry Arliskas)
            To: civilwarwest@egroups.com

            Generally, it worked like this (at least for Union Armies):

            The President issued a call for volunteers (1st call April, 1862 in response
            to the firing upon of Ft. Sumter, 2nd call August 1862)), and each state was
            given a quota of troops that it needed to raise. Towns and cities would
            hold "war meetings" featuring patriotic speaches, martial music, cheers for
            the Union, etc. where young men would enlist into companies composed of
            other young men from same geographic area (same county - closely located
            towns, etc). The State Adjutant General was responsible then for organizing
            (and also raising volunteers) these companies into regiments, and early on
            the states were responsible for arming and equipping the volunteers (to be
            reimbursed later by the Feds). Companies would be organized by the State
            Adj Genl into regiments, and the regiments mustered into U.S. Service at
            training camps. The War Dept. then organized the regiments into brigades,
            divisions, corps, etc. Once a regiment left its home State, it came under
            the command and control of the War Dept. This system of course, was
            augmented later in the War by the Draft, and in some cases regiments were
            composed entirely of drafted men, and in some cases, existing regiments in
            the field were supplemented by drafted men to replace those who had died or
            been discharged.

            One did not simply "pick up their musket" and march off to War - a
            beaurocratic system was firmly in place to effectively raise and manage army
            regiments, and then, as now, the armies left a huge paper trail in its wake.
            Everything was carefully documented in duplicate and triplicate - some
            things never change!

            I can't really comment on how Confederate regiments were raised, but do know
            that those Notherners that wished to fight for the South did indeed need to
            go South to enlist. Company G of the 15th Tennessee Vol. Inf. was one of
            those units - made up of men from Southern Illinois that made their way to
            the Kentucky/Tennessee border to enlist in Conf. States service.

            Hope this helps.

            Terry Arliskas (29 WVI)
          • TsalagiBra@aol.com