Mexican-American War resources (was Re: [civilwarwest] Professor Simpson on Book TV

  • John T. Coleman
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2001
      I'm running very behind on my e-mail again.

      > Once again a Shaara is sparking my interest in a war about which I know too little. Now to find a
      > good book on the war which is not a historical novel. Suggestions anyone?

      "The Mexican War, 1846-1848" by K. Jack Bauer is probably the best
      single volume history of the war. I picked up my copy about 2 years ago
      at the Palo Alto Visitor's center. Eisenhower's book is a good read,
      but glosses over some of the naval details, along with missing the
      OOBs. If you're a wargamer, or just plain into uniform details, The
      Mexican War" by Anton Adams (Emperor's Press) is a must have. Lots of
      color plates, details, OOBs, maps, etc. Brassey's uniform series also
      has a volume on the MAW with pictures of surviving uniforms and
      equipment.

      Two other books of interest. One is "The Plains of Palo Alto" (IIRC).
      This is a book dealing with the archeology of the Palo Alto
      battlefield. The other book is "The Mexican Soldier 1837-1847" by
      Nieto,Brown and Hefter. I believe it's currently out of print.

      If you're into web sites:
      The Aztec Club: http://www.walika.com/aztec.htm
      The PBS companion site to the TV series:
      http://www.pbs.org/kera/usmexicanwar/mainframe.html
      The Descendants of Mexican Wars Veterans site:
      http://www.dmwv.org/mexwar/mexwar.htm

      Being married to a Mexican gal, this war also qualifies as a civil war
      in our home.

      John