Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Official Records regarding Polk's movement into Kentucky

  • Fr. Addison Hart
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 2, 2001
      LOL Carl! Well, Fremont made a speach to his army, in which he basically
      said that they'd miss him a lot, and then left, tears in his eyes. Chicken
      Guts then started a journey back to ol' DC. This was in St. Louis. Jessie,
      his wife, apparently broke down with tears while she listened to Old
      Chicken Guts's speach, saying "Oh, if my husband had only been more
      positive. But he never did assert himself enough. That was his greatest
      fault." OK, make that TWO kooks! So Fremont was sent east, to the
      Shenandoah, and there got a good whipping from our friend Old Blue Light.

      Addison Hart

      ----------
      > From: carlw4514@...
      > To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Official Records regarding Polk's movement
      into Kentucky
      > Date: Thursday, August 02, 2001 11:24 AM

      Addison, what have we done without your input all this time? so far
      you get the award for "west of the mississippi" stuff. I didn't know
      these things about Fremont. I'll bite: what did Fremont do when he was
      relieved?
      carl
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., jaaah@t... wrote:
      > Joe, the name 'Chicken Guts' came from Missouri citizens while John
      Charles Fremont was in command there from July, 1861 to November,
      1861. From the beginning, the new commander of the Department of the
      West was aloof and, in fact, pretty odd. He couldn't get his mind off
      his plan of his army sweeping down the Mississippi, taking Memphis,
      then Vicksburg, and finally New Orleans, cutting the South in two. He
      spent thousands on fortifying the unthreatened St. Louis and allowing
      Lyon to blunder off to Wilson's Creek and Mulligan to get surrounded
      and forced to surrender. And then, as Grant remembered, he wrote his
      orders in foreign languages or when the subordinates appeared at his
      HQ to receive their orders he'd go on and on with his "Grand Scheme"
      and as Grant said "You left without the least idea of what he meant or
      what he wanted you to do." Then he secluded himself from his
      commanders, and handpicked a 300 man bodyguard and a huge collection
      of staff officers (most of whom w!
      > ere Europeans, like French or Italian or guys named "Zagonyi"). When
      Albert Sidney Johnston saw the list of these staff officers he laughed
      and said "There's too much tail to that kite." Fremont's personal
      uniform was so grand, with it's plumes and braids that the locals gave
      him the very manly sounding name of "Chicken Guts". Now, do you
      remember what Fremont did when he received word that he'd been
      relieved?

      > Addison Hart
      >

      > Download NeoPlanet at http://www.neoplanet.com <http://www.neoplanet.com>

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      [<http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bookspan/his_map_468x60.gif>]
      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=210156.1528659.3092253.1456767/D=egroupweb/S=17050205
      36:HM/A=734384/R=0/*https://www.joinhistorybookclub.com/mybookclub/history/b
      ookclubs/hbc/JoinFast/c2/c2_coupon.htm/?src=015_02_hf_273_487_2687>
      [<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=210156.1528659.3092253.1456767/D=egroupma
      il/S=1705020536:HM/A=734384/rand=575880202>]
      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
    • Fr. Addison Hart
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 2, 2001