Re: help for Rosecrans from other departments

  • clarkc@missouri.edu
    Message 1 of 85 , Aug 1, 2001
      Good points.

      I would imply that Grant, at least, was casting about for the next
      objective. Once Vicksburg was taken, half the Anaconda plan was
      accomplished, so how best to squeeze? The only option I can recall
      being contemplated was a campaign towards Mobile.

      I confess I cannot parse your second question...

      Halleck entrenching on the way to Corinth was pretty much what
      offensive-minded leaders were leery of happening to their troops if
      ordered to entrench.

      Their are many instances of troops throwing up field-works on their
      own initiative (usually after battle is joined). I'm curious as to
      whether they were so ordered, or was it a given?

      Cheers,

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:
      > Hank,
      >
      > Are you implying that Grant and Sherman, after Vicksburg, had not
      yet
      > grown enough in their abilities and "could not see beyond their
      > immediate military objectives"? If Grant had ever faulted Rosecrans
      > for not being agressive on Grant's behalf in the first half of 1863,
      > do we see any signs that Grant considered being agressive
      > specifically on Rosecrans' behalf? I would certainly fault Halleck
      > the most for his bad information about Longstreet and for allowing
      9-
      > 10,000 Confederates from Mississippi to reinforce Bragg.
      >
      > I think that Rosecrans was first (or close to it) in a number of
      > innovations (e.g., Rosecrans ambulance, mounted infantry w/
      > spencers). As to fieldworks, if you mean nothing more than
      > entrenchments/breastworks on the field, than the divisions under
      > Thomas constructed them in the middle of the battle of Chickamauga.
      >
      > On the advance to Corinth, IIRC, Halleck was entrenching the whole
      > way.
      >
      > Joseph
      >

      > From: clarkc@m...
      > Date: Wed Aug 1, 2001 10:57 am
      > Subject: Re: help for Rosecrans from other departments
      >
      > I'd raise a couple of points:
      >
      > 1) A major problem, if not THE major problem, with the USA war
      effort
      > was that the military commanders could not see beyond their
      immediate
      > military objectives. Grant and Sherman grew into this ability. (For
      > goodness sake, even Thomas was ready to go into winter quarters in
      > December 1864 when the end was in sight...)
      >
      > 2) Field works were STILL not in vogue in September 1863! Commanders
      > would rather lose men than a perceived lack of offensive vigor. If
      > Rosecrans had ordered them thrown up at Chickamauga he'd have been
      > the first army commander to order field works erected. (I'm not sure
      > Rosey was the first at anything). I'd like to find the earliest
      order
      > of a corps or army commander to erect field works, especially if he
      > was on the offensive...
      >
      > Cheers,
      > HankC
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 85 of 85 , Aug 4, 2001
        Well, there's Robert E. Lee, who was always volunteering to not only
        send troops, but even send himself out west......

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        303.451.6276 Adco@...

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:
        > I was just asking whether, with Grant's large force, Rosecrans
        could
        > have been helped by pinning down Johnston's force or through
        Grant's
        > offering of his excess troops.

        Although I've already address the supposed "excess troops" issue
        elsewhere, I'd like to ask Mr. Rose to offer three examples where
        Civil War generals offered to send their forces elsewhere for someone
        else to command (as opposed to being ordered to do so).

        After all, if his request is so reasonable, we should be able to cite
        other examples quite readily.