Re: Official Records regarding Polk's movement into Kentucky

  • hartshje@aol.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 1, 2001
      William,

      Looks like a pretty good synopsis of events to me.
      I never heard that term "Chicken Guts" before either. Maybe
      Addison can enlighten us on the origination.

      Joe H.

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "William Henry Keene" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
      > Joe and Wanyne,
      >
      > Does this sum it up:
      > -As September 1861 approached, Fremont was setting his sights on
      > moving down the Mississippi by clearing southeastern Missouri and
      > occupying Columbus, Kentucky. This is apparently in opposition to
      > Lincoln's policy, but with Fremont this seems to be standard
      > practice.
      > -At the same time, Pillow and Polk were getting anxious about their
      > defensive line and setting their sights on Columbus becuase of its
      > natural defensive features. They are ignorant of Jefferson Davis'
      > policy regarding kentucky.
      > -Fremont puts Grant in charge of the area with directions to
      > organize the multi-force operation in southeastern Missouri with an
      > eye to occupying Columbus a.s.a.p.
      > -Polk, after Pillow urges him on, decides to preempt any union
      > actions and get at Columbus first.
      > -The operation in Missour gets screwed up due to conflict between
      > Grant and Prentiss over seniority and by the time Grant gets
      > settled in at Cairo, Polk has already moved so Grant does the next
      > best thing and takes Paducah.
      >
      > ~Will
      >
      > ps: I had never heard Fremont called chicken guts before.
      >

      > > --- In civilwarwest@y..., jaaah@t... wrote:
      > >
      > > Yep, this has been an interesting discussion to me as well. I've
      > > printed every message. Any mention of the good Bishop and of ol'
      > > Chicken Guts immediately spurs my interest, but this thread
      > > especially. Chicken Guts Fremont was one of the most fascinating
      > > figures of the war. Really should consider doing a write up on
      > > the guy. There was a little "too much tail to that kite."
      > >
      > > A. Hart

    • Fr. Addison Hart
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 2, 2001
        LOL Carl! Well, Fremont made a speach to his army, in which he basically
        said that they'd miss him a lot, and then left, tears in his eyes. Chicken
        Guts then started a journey back to ol' DC. This was in St. Louis. Jessie,
        his wife, apparently broke down with tears while she listened to Old
        Chicken Guts's speach, saying "Oh, if my husband had only been more
        positive. But he never did assert himself enough. That was his greatest
        fault." OK, make that TWO kooks! So Fremont was sent east, to the
        Shenandoah, and there got a good whipping from our friend Old Blue Light.

        Addison Hart

        ----------
        > From: carlw4514@...
        > To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Official Records regarding Polk's movement
        into Kentucky
        > Date: Thursday, August 02, 2001 11:24 AM

        Addison, what have we done without your input all this time? so far
        you get the award for "west of the mississippi" stuff. I didn't know
        these things about Fremont. I'll bite: what did Fremont do when he was
        relieved?
        carl
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., jaaah@t... wrote:
        > Joe, the name 'Chicken Guts' came from Missouri citizens while John
        Charles Fremont was in command there from July, 1861 to November,
        1861. From the beginning, the new commander of the Department of the
        West was aloof and, in fact, pretty odd. He couldn't get his mind off
        his plan of his army sweeping down the Mississippi, taking Memphis,
        then Vicksburg, and finally New Orleans, cutting the South in two. He
        spent thousands on fortifying the unthreatened St. Louis and allowing
        Lyon to blunder off to Wilson's Creek and Mulligan to get surrounded
        and forced to surrender. And then, as Grant remembered, he wrote his
        orders in foreign languages or when the subordinates appeared at his
        HQ to receive their orders he'd go on and on with his "Grand Scheme"
        and as Grant said "You left without the least idea of what he meant or
        what he wanted you to do." Then he secluded himself from his
        commanders, and handpicked a 300 man bodyguard and a huge collection
        of staff officers (most of whom w!
        > ere Europeans, like French or Italian or guys named "Zagonyi"). When
        Albert Sidney Johnston saw the list of these staff officers he laughed
        and said "There's too much tail to that kite." Fremont's personal
        uniform was so grand, with it's plumes and braids that the locals gave
        him the very manly sounding name of "Chicken Guts". Now, do you
        remember what Fremont did when he received word that he'd been
        relieved?

        > Addison Hart
        >

        > Download NeoPlanet at http://www.neoplanet.com <http://www.neoplanet.com>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        [<http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/bo/bookspan/his_map_468x60.gif>]
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=210156.1528659.3092253.1456767/D=egroupweb/S=17050205
        36:HM/A=734384/R=0/*https://www.joinhistorybookclub.com/mybookclub/history/b
        ookclubs/hbc/JoinFast/c2/c2_coupon.htm/?src=015_02_hf_273_487_2687>
        [<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=210156.1528659.3092253.1456767/D=egroupma
        il/S=1705020536:HM/A=734384/rand=575880202>]
        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.