Re: [civilwarwest] Re: help for Rosecrans from other departments

  • thecoys@kingcon.com
    Message 1 of 85 , Aug 1, 2001
      I think that we should remember that when Rosecrans took over the Army of the
      Ohio, renamed the 14th Corps, it was not in very good shape. Cavalry in the
      14th Corps was practically was....well...not cavalry. Rosecrans first
      assessment of his command was that he needed more cavalry. Any movement that
      Rosecrans made inland increased the lines of communications that needed
      protection from Morgan, Wheeler, and what was that other guy's name...oh yea
      Forrest. In addition, he would be advancing over land that had been
      previously occupied by the Confederates, either Bragg or Johnston. Just look
      what happened to Grant in Nov/Dec 1862 when he tried to advance inland....Van
      Dorn put a halt to that pretty quickly. Also remember that Grant's line of
      communications was the Mississippi River, protected by a very strong
      USN....much easier to proceed with multiple operations then what was
      available for Ol' Rosy.

      All of course IMHO. :)

      Kevin S. Coy

      clarkc@... wrote:

      > A more worthy target would be Meade who truly missed an opportunity
      > when Longstreet moved west, but we can't duscuss that here!
      >
      > You are correct that Rosecrans should have kept up more pressure. I'm
      > not that sure what/how Grant would have know that Rosey was in need of
      > more troops without any sort of request from above...
      >
      > I recall, and I think someone else recently posted, that Grant was
      > considering a move into the interior of MS and AL and eventually to
      > Mobile (Mobile held a particular fascination with Grant; he was still
      > considering army operations towards it in May 1864).
      >
      > Cheers,
      > HankC

    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 85 of 85 , Aug 4, 2001
        Well, there's Robert E. Lee, who was always volunteering to not only
        send troops, but even send himself out west......

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        303.451.6276 Adco@...

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:
        > I was just asking whether, with Grant's large force, Rosecrans
        could
        > have been helped by pinning down Johnston's force or through
        Grant's
        > offering of his excess troops.

        Although I've already address the supposed "excess troops" issue
        elsewhere, I'd like to ask Mr. Rose to offer three examples where
        Civil War generals offered to send their forces elsewhere for someone
        else to command (as opposed to being ordered to do so).

        After all, if his request is so reasonable, we should be able to cite
        other examples quite readily.