Re: help for Rosecrans from other departments

  • clarkc@missouri.edu
    Message 1 of 85 , Aug 1, 2001
      A more worthy target would be Meade who truly missed an opportunity
      when Longstreet moved west, but we can't duscuss that here!

      You are correct that Rosecrans should have kept up more pressure. I'm
      not that sure what/how Grant would have know that Rosey was in need of
      more troops without any sort of request from above...

      I recall, and I think someone else recently posted, that Grant was
      considering a move into the interior of MS and AL and eventually to
      Mobile (Mobile held a particular fascination with Grant; he was still
      considering army operations towards it in May 1864).

      Cheers,
      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:
      > Dave,
      >
      > I didn't say that Rosecrans held up his end. He gets rebuked for
      not
      > keeping all of the troops in front of him occupied.
      >
      > As the AotT had Johnston's men in their front and many of these left
      > to help Bragg at Chickamauga, shouldn't the same apply to Grant?
      >
      > I was just asking whether, with Grant's large force, Rosecrans could
      > have been helped by pinning down Johnston's force or through Grant's
      > offering of his excess troops.
      >
      > After all, Chickamauga was one of the few battles where the
      > Confederates had an advantage in numbers.
      >
      > Joseph
      >

      > From: "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>
      > Date: Tue Jul 31, 2001 6:53 am
      > Subject: Re: help for Rosecrans from other departments -
      > Pfffffffttttttttt
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:
      > > Will and Dr. Simpson,
      > >
      > > I know all about the delayed message to Grant.
      > >
      > > I was referring to the time between the taking of Vicksburg and
      the
      > > receipt of that message. I know, it took some time to parole the
      > > prisoners, but that certainly left a lot of time and a lot of
      > > troops who weren't doing much of anything.
      >
      > Weren't some of the troops sent to the trans-Miss region? And
      wasn't
      > there that 30,000-plus man army under Joe Johnston 30 miles away?
      > >
      > > I always hear that Rosecrans wasn't holding up his end between
      > > January and June 1863, when Grant was trying to take Vicksburg.
      He
      > > gets rebuked for it. After Vicksburg was taken up to the time of
      > > Chickamauga, shouldn't Grant have been holding up his end for
      > > Rosecrans? As I remember, troops from the Mississippi theatre
      > > joined Bragg in his attack on Rosecrans. What's sauce for the
      > goose ....
      >
      > Out of idle curiosity, what end had Rosecrans held up in support of
      > Grant? Sat around on his hands, allowing Bragg to send Breckinridge
      > and "Red" Jackson (Van Dorn's cav division) to Johnston?
      >
      > And given his numbers, and Bragg's prior to Longstreet and Buckner's
      > reinforcements (not there at the start of the campaign), what help
      > did Rosey need?
      >
      > Rosecrans didn't report to Grant during the Vicksburg campaign, nor
      > did he report to Grant during the Tullahoma / Chickamauga campaigns.

      > One would expect such orders to move troops from theater to theater
      > to come from Washington, and Halleck.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > Dave Smith
      > Villa Hills, KY
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 85 of 85 , Aug 4, 2001
        Well, there's Robert E. Lee, who was always volunteering to not only
        send troops, but even send himself out west......

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        303.451.6276 Adco@...

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:
        > I was just asking whether, with Grant's large force, Rosecrans
        could
        > have been helped by pinning down Johnston's force or through
        Grant's
        > offering of his excess troops.

        Although I've already address the supposed "excess troops" issue
        elsewhere, I'd like to ask Mr. Rose to offer three examples where
        Civil War generals offered to send their forces elsewhere for someone
        else to command (as opposed to being ordered to do so).

        After all, if his request is so reasonable, we should be able to cite
        other examples quite readily.