Re: Albert Castel on Sherman's Memoirs

  • josepharose@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 31, 2001
      Cash,

      Thank you very much for that link. I guess that even the
      professionals can have their tiffs.

      The first of Hirshon's two complaints about Castel's corrections
      sounds pretty minimal (concerning "The New-York Historical Society
      spell[ing] its name with a hyphen"). Even the second only has Castel
      doubting "that the conversation ever took place."

      Those hardly sound like major mistakes on Dr. Castel's part, and
      don't seem to smack of an anti-Sherman bias.

      But the reply to Castel's article on Sherman's Memoirs should prove
      interesting. We shall see how.

      Joseph

      From: CashG79@a...
      Date: Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:41 pm
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Albert Castel on Sherman's Memoirs

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Robert Taubman" <rtaubman@h...> wrote:
      > Bash the Prophet? Horror of horrors!!
      >
      > I found the article by Castel, but they want me to pay for it and
      with the US$ v
      > CAN$, that would cost me $20 Canadian!! (joking of course).

      -------
      I came across the following exchange in the Letters to the Editor
      from the December 1997 issue of Civil War Times:

      www.thehistorynet.com/CivilWarTimes/letters/1997/1297.htm

      It deals directly with Dr. Castel, Sherman, and Dr. Marszalek, along
      with Dr. Stanley P. Hirshson, author of The White Tecumseh.

      Regards,
      Cash
    • Michael Mason
      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 6 10:09 PM
        The Worse is renaming Miami of Ohio the Redbirds
        The Baron

        On 6-Aug-01, basecat1@... wrote:

        In a message dated 8/6/2001 5:10:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        jtcoleman@... writes:

        > Fear not Steve, us Broncos don't like you Bobcats either! :) Or the
        > Rockets, or the renamed Eagles, or...
        >
        > I wish I'd been aware of Castel when I was at Western. I suspect I
        > would've greatly enjoyed taking a class from him, even if it didn't help
        > with my engineering degree!
        >
        > I realize the Baron's not too fond of his book "Decision in the West",
        > but I found it to be well written and researched. Could have wished for
        > a few more maps though. :) I usually read it with a copy of the West
        > Point campaign map in hand.
        >
        > John

        John...LOL. :) As for Castel, I have enjoyed reading his many articles and
        books etc., and have not agreed with him all of the time. I will be starting
        his latest Tom Taylor's Civil War very soon. Regards from the Bobcat, Steve.