[civilwarwest] Picking Nits-a Favorite Civil War Pastime

  • Chris Huff
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2000
      Dear Folks,

      The last part of my last post was about the first shot of the Civil War not being fired at Fort Sumter as we all have all learned in school, but in Pensacola, Fla.. Dr. Richard McMurry (by golly he is the John Bell Hood biographer and all around nice guy) told us at a lecture that the first shot was fired in Pensacola.

      Well, being the curious cat that I am I wanted to know what the source of this little gem of trivia was. I didn't think to ask Dr. McMurry about it when he first mentioned it, so I asked the next time I saw him. That was a "below-the-belt", lazy assed question to ask, so being the good instructor he is he told me to find it myself. He did hint that reference was also made in "Great Battles and Leaders of the Civil War".

      I confess, in searching through the O.R., I have learned a lot about the situation in Pensacola and now I wonder why everyone overlooks the importance of this port on the Gulf. The Union sure didn't think is was unimportant and made elaborate plans to keep the port under Union control or to capture same if the Confederates had already occupied it. It's amazing the "pussy footing" around that both sides did. The protocol of trying to gain control of the fort there without being the first to start the hostilities is really amusing (though I'm sure they didn't think so at the time). Some of the infighting that takes place amongst the various commanders who arrived upon the scene reminds me of squabbles my siblings and I used to have where the trump card was being the one to holler for Mom and have her decide in your favor. When I finally find the *@##&%## reference I'll let you know where I found it. I bet *I* never forget where it is.

      Chris Huff
      Atlanta, GA
    • Chris Huff