AotC post-Nashville

  • clarkc@missouri.edu
    Message 1 of 59 , Jul 31, 2001
      Thomas' post-Nashville campaign appears to be mostly mopup, similar to
      the USA overrunning Germany in April 1945.

      The cavalry was sent through Knoxville and Bristol all the way to
      Marion VA, destroying everything of military value ("The country
      marched over was laid waste to prevent its being used again by the
      enemy--all mills, factories, bridges, &c., being destroyed.")

      The army corps were placed in northern Mississippi and Alabama.

      Two interesting statements come from Thomas' report of 1/20/65.

      Thomas ordered his troops to go into winter quarters; apparently his
      thinking and Grant's differed:

      "On the 30th of December I announced to the army the successful
      completion of the campaign, and gave directions for the disposition of
      the command, as follows: Smith's corps to take post at Eastport,
      Miss.; Wood's corps to be concentrated at Huntsville and Athens, Ala.;
      Schofield's corps to proceed to Dalton, Ga.; and Wilson's cavalry,
      after sending one division to Eastport, Miss., to concentrate balance
      at or near Huntsville. On reaching the several positions assigned to
      them the different commands were to go into winter quarters and
      recuperate for the spring campaign.

      The above not meeting the views of the general-in-chief, and being
      notified by Major-General Halleck, chief of staff, U.S. Army, that it
      was not intended for the army in Tennessee to go into winter quarters,
      orders were issued on the 31st of December for Generals Schofield,
      Smith, and Wilson to concentrate their commands at Eastport, Miss.,
      and that of General Wood at Huntsville, Ala., preparatory to a renewal
      of the campaign against the enemy in Mississippi and Alabama."

      and,
      apparently, Thomas had been operating without his normal staff during
      this campaign:

      "Receiving instructions unexpectedly from General Sherman, in
      September, to repair to Tennessee and assume general control of the
      defenses of our line of communication in the rear of the Army of the
      Mississippi, and not anticipating a separation from my immediate
      command, the greater number of my staff officers were left behind at
      Atlanta and did not have an opportunity to join me after General
      Sherman determined on making his march through Georgia, before the
      communications were cut. "

      Cheers,
      HankC
    • clarkc@missouri.edu