[civilwarwest] Gen. W.W. Loring's Division

  • Waldemar Winkler
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1 8:18 PM
      I am tracing the movements of the 23d Mississippi Infantry Regiment,
      whose records were destroyed by fire.
      I am hoping someone within our membership can shed some light on a
      mystery I have been trying to unravel for some time, which is: where
      did General William Wing Loring's Confederate Division go and what did
      they do following the battle of Baker's Creek, ( Champion's Hhill) in
      mid-May, 1963? Where were they from May - Dec., 1863, and where were
      from Jan., 1864 - May 1864?

      During the battle of Baker's Creek ( Champion's Hill), in mid May,
      1863, the Confederae division under the command of Gen. William Wing
      Loring was separated from the rest of the Confederate forces, and
      forced to flee southeast. They eventually joined with General
      Johnston's army at Jackson, and then disappeared.

      In my research, Gen. Loring's division vanished after Jackson, Miss. I
      find it again when some regiments are involved in a battle at
      Coffeevill on Dec, 5, 1863. I am sure it is involved in Sherman's
      attack on Meridian, but I haven't seen this division pop up in print
      until the battle of Resaca, Georgia, in May of 1864.

      Prior to the defeat at Baker's Creek, General Loring's division had the
      following structure:

      Department of Mississippi and Eastern Lousiana, Fourth Military
      District, General John Pemberton, commanding.

      ? Corps, General Polk, Commanding

      1st Brigade, General Lloyd Tilghman, Commanding the following regiments:
      50th Alabama Infantry Regiment
      54th Alabama Infantry Regiment
      Heddon's artillery Battery
      8th Kentucky Infantry
      Company C., 4th Mississippi Artillery Batt.
      14th Mississippi Infantry
      20th Mississippi Infantry
      23d Mississippi Infantry
      26th Mississippi Infantry

      I sincerely appreciate any informatin or research leads anyone can
      provide.

      Respectfully,

      Waldemar Winkler
    • Dameron McRaven
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1 9:39 PM
        Waldemar,
        Loring's Division remained in the Department of
        Mississippi after their misadventure from Champion's Hill to Jackson. I will
        research this further and send you more information, but this is what I have
        for now:
        During Sherman's Meridian, MS campaign the 23rd Mississippi was in
        Brig. Gen. John Adams' Brigade, W.W. Loring's Division, Army of Mississippi
        commanded by Leonidas Polk.
        The campaign occurred in February of 1864, and there were engagments
        from just outside Vicksburg across the state to Meridian.
        I believe that Loring's Division remained with Joe Johnston's
        Army, which subsequently was commanded by Polk from May-Dec. 1863. The Army
        remained in Jackson until the second battle by that name July 9-16m 1863,
        when they fell back to Canton, where they remained through the winter. They
        remained with Polks Army until it untied with Johnston's during the Atlanta
        campaign, this period covering Jan.-May 1864. After Sherman's Meridian
        Expedition, the 23rd fell back with the rest of the Confederate Army to
        Demopolis, Alabama.
        I hope this helps,
        Dameron
        > I am tracing the movements of the 23d Mississippi Infantry Regiment,
        > whose records were destroyed by fire.
        > I am hoping someone within our membership can shed some light on a
        > mystery I have been trying to unravel for some time, which is: where
        > did General William Wing Loring's Confederate Division go and what did
        > they do following the battle of Baker's Creek, ( Champion's Hhill) in
        > mid-May, 1963? Where were they from May - Dec., 1863, and where were
        > from Jan., 1864 - May 1864?
        >
        > During the battle of Baker's Creek ( Champion's Hill), in mid May,
        > 1863, the Confederae division under the command of Gen. William Wing
        > Loring was separated from the rest of the Confederate forces, and
        > forced to flee southeast. They eventually joined with General
        > Johnston's army at Jackson, and then disappeared.
        >

        > In my research, Gen. Loring's division vanished after Jackson, Miss. I
        > find it again when some regiments are involved in a battle at
        > Coffeevill on Dec, 5, 1863. I am sure it is involved in Sherman's
        > attack on Meridian, but I haven't seen this division pop up in print
        > until the battle of Resaca, Georgia, in May of 1864.
        >
        > Prior to the defeat at Baker's Creek, General Loring's division had the
        > following structure:
        >
        > Department of Mississippi and Eastern Lousiana, Fourth Military
        > District, General John Pemberton, commanding.
        >
        > ? Corps, General Polk, Commanding
        >
        > 1st Brigade, General Lloyd Tilghman, Commanding the following regiments:
        > 50th Alabama Infantry Regiment
        > 54th Alabama Infantry Regiment
        > Heddon's artillery Battery
        > 8th Kentucky Infantry
        > Company C., 4th Mississippi Artillery Batt.
        > 14th Mississippi Infantry
        > 20th Mississippi Infantry
        > 23d Mississippi Infantry
        > 26th Mississippi Infantry
        >
        > I sincerely appreciate any informatin or research leads anyone can
        > provide.
        >
        > Respectfully,
        >
        > Waldemar Winkler

        > FindLaw is the Internet's best destination for free legal
        > information! Take advantage of this offer and go to
        > Findlaw.com now!

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=civilwarwest&m=1

      • Wayne Mulig
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5 1:09 PM
          Dear Waldemar,

          Years ago I was doing some research on the 12th Louisiana Infantry, Buford's
          Bde, Loring's Div ... I have some info on Loring's movements from May 20,
          1863 to July 15, 1863 .... and in November 1863 Loring was at Canton,
          Mississippi ...then on Feb 5, 1864 have note that Loring crosses the Pearl
          River to Brandon (Mississippi ?)... next thing I have was May 4, 1864
          Loring's Div was ordered to Rome, Georgia ... If you would like me to type
          up sketchy notes for these periods with refereneces, please advise ... I am
          not sure whether you have the info or not...

          Also the 6th Mississippi of Tilghman's Bde is chronicled in H. Grady Howell,
          Jr, Going to Meet the Yankees: A History of the "Bloody Sixth" Mississippi,
          Infantry, C.S.A., Jackson, Mississippi: Chickasaw Bayou Press, 1981. Info
          gleaned from this book and contained in my notes are similar to that above
          ... would be happy to share that as well.

          I guess what I am saying is that I can compile my info on the 6th Miss and
          12th La for the period I refer to as the "Jackson - Mississippi Duty" Period
          of May 17, 1863 to April 1864 ... if you don't have it already. Please let
          me know and I will do so ...

          Sincerely

          Wayne Mulig

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 9 10:21 PM
            Waldemar,

            I have gone ahead and re-typed my notes on the 12th LA and 6th Miss and
            have included them as an attachment ... I stopped at the point where
            Loring's Division moves to Rome, GA in 1864 ... if you want passed that
            pleaselet me know ... hope this is of some help ..

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 9 10:21 PM

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 13 8:05 PM
                This may be a second reply. My first one disappeared...somewhere.

                Dear Wayne,
                Thanks so much for the attachment. i've been a bit busy in the real
                world and haven't had the time to read the postings. Can't wait to
                open the dounload. I will be in truch with you soon.

                Thanks,

                Waldemar

                "wayne mulig" <twmuli-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=683
                > Waldemar,
                >
                > I have gone ahead and re-typed my notes on the 12th LA and 6th Miss
                and
                > have included them as an attachment ... I stopped at the point where
                > Loring's Division moves to Rome, GA in 1864 ... if you want passed
                that
                > pleaselet me know ... hope this is of some help ..
                >
                > Sincerely,
                > Wayne Mulig

              • Waldemar Winkler
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 13 8:05 PM

                  "wayne mulig" <twmuli-@...> wrote:
                  original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=683
                  > Waldemar,
                  >
                  > I have gone ahead and re-typed my notes on the 12th LA and 6th Miss
                  and
                  > have included them as an attachment ... I stopped at the point where
                  > Loring's Division moves to Rome, GA in 1864 ... if you want passed
                  that
                  > pleaselet me know ... hope this is of some help ..
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  > Wayne Mulig

                • Waldemar Winkler
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 20 7:31 PM
                    Dameron,
                    Thanks for the information. I back to my usual mode of catching up
                    (don't get to log on too often). Your information was helpful in that
                    it added clarification to what I already had (mostly diary entries from
                    my great grandfather, a man of very few words and worse spelling).
                    Please accept addional thanks for any information relating to the
                    movements of any regiment under the command of Division cmdr Gen. W.W.
                    Loring or Brigade Cmdr. Adams following the defeat at Champion's Hill
                    / Baker's Creek and their involvement with Federal General Sherman's
                    attack on Meridian, Mississippi.

                    Repectfully,

                    Waldemar Winkler
                  • Waldemar Winkler