[civilwarwest] Missionary Ridge

  • Stewart L Bennett
    Message 1 of 50 , Mar 8, 2000
      Dear Members,
      Is there anyone out there that knows anything about the "lost"
      cyclorama of the battle of Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge?This is
      one cyclorama which includes both battles.It is not the one on display at
      Point Park on Lookout Mountain.I believe it was painted in the 1880's or
      1890's.Where was it originally housed? Who painted it ?Where is it today?
      Obviously it is believed to be lost so these may not be easy questions to
      answer.
      The only pictures I know of the cyclorama are in Time-Life's" The
      Struggle for Chattanooga", and in Battles and Leaders of the Civil War.Do
      any of you know of any other pictures?I have some ideas about this
      cyclorama but would appreciate your input.I have watched you all in
      action and believe someone out there has some information.I too will
      continue the search.Thank you for any and all help.
      Stewart

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • hank9174
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 6, 2004
        It was not a good day for command, control and large unit cohesion in
        the Army of the Cumberland.

        Regiments of the same brigade went in different directions; brigades
        in the same division were assaulting and falling back simultaneously;
        divisions advanced at the initial salvo - others did not; infantry
        corps commanders were directing artillery fire

        However, the mass effects of the 2 days maneuvering all came to bear
        at the CSA's weakest point...

        HankC

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Beatty <jdbeatty.geo@y...>