Burnside and the "slows"

  • josepharose@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 85 , Jul 29, 2001
      Cozzens book on Chickamauga offered several quotes which highlight
      the real meaning of the word "slow."

      Concerning the events around 9/13/63, before Chickamauga, "Halleck
      prodded Burnside, who since capturing Knoxville wanted only to resign
      from the army ...."

      Around 9/17/63, he wrote that rumors in the Union camps were
      that "Rosecrans was 'hourly expecting aid from Burnside'."

      John Beatty wrote that, at the time of the battle, Burnside "is now
      regarded as a myth, a fictitious warrior, who is said to be coming to
      the relief of men sorely pressed, but who never comes."

      After the battle, Burnside wrote, "Am now sending every man that can
      be spared to aid Rosecrans," although the author noted: "yet he sent
      no one."

      Now, that's slow, and we know the results.

      Joseph

      P.S. Rosecrans certainly wasn't helped by those outside the
      department, with Burnside refusing to move, Grant sitting around the
      Mississippi with a number of superfluous divisions, and Halleck
      actually suggesting that Bragg was reinforcing the eastern theatre
      instead of vice-versa.

      P.P.S. If Burnside wanted to resign so badly, why was he later given
      a corps command back in the East?
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 85 of 85 , Aug 4 10:54 PM
        Well, there's Robert E. Lee, who was always volunteering to not only
        send troops, but even send himself out west......

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        303.451.6276 Adco@...

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:
        > I was just asking whether, with Grant's large force, Rosecrans
        could
        > have been helped by pinning down Johnston's force or through
        Grant's
        > offering of his excess troops.

        Although I've already address the supposed "excess troops" issue
        elsewhere, I'd like to ask Mr. Rose to offer three examples where
        Civil War generals offered to send their forces elsewhere for someone
        else to command (as opposed to being ordered to do so).

        After all, if his request is so reasonable, we should be able to cite
        other examples quite readily.