[civilwarwest] Artillery at Franklin

  • Bob Watt
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8, 2000
      Wayne,

      There were at least 3 batteries on the field at Franklin. The only one I
      am certain was engaged was 1st Missouri which was on the extreme right
      of the Confederate line following(???) Loring's Division. Evidently,
      they were in the rear of Adams' Brigade because they were near the
      Harpeth and within easy range of the Yankee batteries north of the
      Harpeth. The other two batteries present were Cowan's Mississippi
      Battery and Ferguson's South Carolina Battery. I am not sure when they
      took the field. Hope this helps.
      Bob
    • Steve Charles
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8, 2000
        Bob,
        I'm almost certain that the 6th Michigan Battery was at Franklin also, But
        I could be wrong.
        Steve Charles
        >There were at least 3 batteries on the field at Franklin. The only one I
        >am certain was engaged was 1st Missouri which was on the extreme right
        >of the Confederate line following(???) Loring's Division. Evidently,
        >they were in the rear of Adams' Brigade because they were near the
        >Harpeth and within easy range of the Yankee batteries north of the
        >Harpeth. The other two batteries present were Cowan's Mississippi
        >Battery and Ferguson's South Carolina Battery. I am not sure when they
        >took the field. Hope this helps.
        >Bob

        >The race is on! We've got the most comprehensive elections coverage
        >for women. Get your election updates at

        >-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=civilwarwest&m=1

      • Wayne Mulig
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8, 2000
          Bob,

          Thanks! The plot thickens ... I had only read vague references to the
          Confederate batteries at Franklin ... and then only two have been mentioned
          ... Will continue my search into this matter ....
          Appreciate the leads ...

          Sincerely,
          Wayne Mulig

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 8, 2000
            Bob,

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 9, 2000
              Steve I am sure you are right, Wayne ask about Confederate
              Artillery as well. That's what I was responding to.I am sure there were
              much more CS units at Franklin, but were not engaged. I don't know who
              gave the order,but the Confederate guns could NOT fire on the Federals.I
              am not a fan of Hood, he must have been out of his mind to order the
              attack. It was doomed from the get go. Thanks Bob
            • Bob Watt
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 9, 2000
                  bobwat-@... (bob watt) wrote:
                  original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=678
                  > Steve I am sure you are right, Wayne ask about Confederate
                  > Artillery as well. That's what I was responding to.I am sure there
                  were
                  > much more CS units at Franklin, but were not engaged. I don't know who
                  > gave the order,but the Confederate guns could NOT fire on the
                  Federals.I
                  > am not a fan of Hood, he must have been out of his mind to order the
                  > attack. It was doomed from the get go. Thanks Bob

                  So Hood not only deprives himself of S.D. Lees corp and most of the
                  armies guns, but also Lee's artillery expertise. Seems obvious a
                  preliminary bombardment or artillery support was never a part of Hood's
                  plan. Wonder why. Range too far? According to Wagner and other 1st hand
                  accounts the few rounds the confederates did get off landed near the
                  Carter house, well within the union lines. Did the ineffectiveness of
                  the bombardment preceding Picketts charge make him think it was a waste
                  of time and ammunition? While the Gettysburg bombardment didn't do the
                  damage Lee might have hoped, it was still a terrifying experience for
                  the Union soldiers in line there, something I would think, in general,
                  would lower a defensive lines breaking point. Maybe it was just more
                  troop discipline for Spring Hill, but that seems hard to believe.

                  Andy
                • Andy Berstel
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 9, 2000

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 9, 2000
                      Andy and Bob,

                      I agree with your summations that Hood was not too smart to attack the
                      prepared Union positions at Franklin as he did. I am sure a preparatory
                      artillery barrage or at least some artillery support would have been
                      helpful, but so would the third infantry corps being involved. Judging from
                      when S.D. Lee finally arrived at Franklin would probably not have been
                      ready to attack much before dark. Would that time waiting for Lee been
                      better used to determine weakness of Schofield's right? in actually
                      observing the Union positions and the routes that Confederate troops would
                      have had to approach the enemy lines? Would Hood succumb to the notion that
                      flanking Schofield out of Franklin might have been the better course? And
                      would the time spent waiting allowed the Union forces to further strengthen
                      their positions? Would Wagner's Division been pulled back from its forward
                      position? All the great "what if's", I know ... but is interesting to
                      think about the alternatives .... Any thoughts, ladies and gents??

                      Sincerely,
                      Wayne Mulig

                      >From: "Andy Berstel" <greenhaven@...>
                      >To: civilwarwest@...
                      >Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Artillery at Franklin
                      >Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 06:59:18 -0800
                      >
                      >bobwat-@... (bob watt) wrote:
                      >original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=678
                      > > Steve I am sure you are right, Wayne ask about Confederate
                      > > Artillery as well. That's what I was responding to.I am sure there
                      >were
                      > > much more CS units at Franklin, but were not engaged. I don't know who
                      > > gave the order,but the Confederate guns could NOT fire on the
                      >Federals.I
                      > > am not a fan of Hood, he must have been out of his mind to order the
                      > > attack. It was doomed from the get go. Thanks Bob
                      > >

                      >So Hood not only deprives himself of S.D. Lees corp and most of the
                      >armies guns, but also Lee's artillery expertise. Seems obvious a
                      >preliminary bombardment or artillery support was never a part of Hood's
                      >plan. Wonder why. Range too far? According to Wagner and other 1st hand
                      >accounts the few rounds the confederates did get off landed near the
                      >Carter house, well within the union lines. Did the ineffectiveness of
                      >the bombardment preceding Picketts charge make him think it was a waste
                      >of time and ammunition? While the Gettysburg bombardment didn't do the
                      >damage Lee might have hoped, it was still a terrifying experience for
                      >the Union soldiers in line there, something I would think, in general,
                      >would lower a defensive lines breaking point. Maybe it was just more
                      >troop discipline for Spring Hill, but that seems hard to believe.
                      >
                      >Andy

                      >Successful or aspiring career women won't want to miss Women.Future!
                      >Today's top business women share how they led their way to the top.
                      >Find out how at

                      >-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=civilwarwest&m=1

                    • Wayne Mulig
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 9, 2000