[civilwarwest] Re: Missionary Ridge

  • David Woodbury
    Message 1 of 50 , Mar 8, 2000
      At 8:52 PM -0600 3/8/00, Stewart L Bennett wrote:
      >Where was it originally housed? Who painted it ?Where is it today?
      >Obviously it is believed to be lost so these may not be easy questions to
      >answer.

      As someone here mentioned, this particular painting was destroyed by
      a tornado while in Nashville. It was created by a team of European
      artists comprising the American Panorama Company (founded by Munich
      painter William Wehner in Milwaukee, in 1883). This was the first of
      several large-scale paintings done by this company. They did not,
      however, produce the painting at Point Lookout, or the Gettysburg or
      Manassas cycloramas.

      David Woodbury
    • hank9174
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 6, 2004
        It was not a good day for command, control and large unit cohesion in
        the Army of the Cumberland.

        Regiments of the same brigade went in different directions; brigades
        in the same division were assaulting and falling back simultaneously;
        divisions advanced at the initial salvo - others did not; infantry
        corps commanders were directing artillery fire

        However, the mass effects of the 2 days maneuvering all came to bear
        at the CSA's weakest point...

        HankC

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Beatty <jdbeatty.geo@y...>