[civilwarwest] Missionary Ridge

  • Chris Huff
    Message 1 of 50 , Mar 8, 2000
      Dear Stewart,

      Boy do I have some bad news if it's the cyclorama I'm thinking of and I'll bet it is.

      My boyfriend recently got a  book, "The Confederate Collapse at Missionary Ridge; The Reports of James Patton Anderson", by John Hoffman (Morningside Press, Dayton OH), which we have been trying to find for over a year. In this book this particular cyclorama is mentioned and several photos of various panels are shown. The poster put out by the McCormack Reaper Company (I think that's the name of it) showing a composite of two of the panels is also shown. Part of the caption which accompany the photos mentions that the cyclorama was destroyed by a tornado (of all things!) while it was on display in Nashville in (I think) 1942. If you want, I'll check on the exact date, etc..

      I am dying to know if there are any reproductions of that McCormack Reaper poster around because we would love to have one. One of the panels that it depicts is "Vaughn's Division Escaping" which is of particular interest to my boyfriend.

      Hope this is helpful.

      Chris Huff
      Atlanta, GA
    • hank9174
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 6, 2004
        It was not a good day for command, control and large unit cohesion in
        the Army of the Cumberland.

        Regiments of the same brigade went in different directions; brigades
        in the same division were assaulting and falling back simultaneously;
        divisions advanced at the initial salvo - others did not; infantry
        corps commanders were directing artillery fire

        However, the mass effects of the 2 days maneuvering all came to bear
        at the CSA's weakest point...

        HankC

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Beatty <jdbeatty.geo@y...>