[civilwarwest] Bishop Leonidas Polk

  • gary fredrickson
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2000
      Looking for any info i can get on Bishop Leonidas Polk. But what i'd really like is any info i can get about his life as a man of the cloth. Any help or advice as to where i should go would be very much appreciated. Gary
    • Clyde Thompson
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2000
        Good morning Gary:
        Im afraid I've turn my back on the Bishop,
        in more ways then one.Will hit the books see if
        I can come up with anything. Clyde

        =====
        Clyde
        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Clyde Thompson
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2000
          Back again Gary,
          Since we are talking Bishops,Thought I
          would throw in a story from the 78 th PVI
          Colonel Sirwell commander had appointed a
          Father Richard Christy a catholic as chaplain
          Most of the boys were Protestant, so it didn't
          set well. Christy won their hearts, and was
          known to even grab a rifle to help out.
          Clyde

          =====
          Clyde
          http://im.yahoo.com
        • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2000
            Gary:
            Don't know a lot about Polk, but I would guess that quite a bit of
            information about him could be found at the University of the South in
            Sewanee TN. Don't know if they have a website or if their library does,
            but since he founded the place I assume they have some materials related
            to him. As a side note, one day I was in Chattanooga and had some time
            on my hands. Went for a drive on Missionary Ridge and somewhere (I
            could never find it again) found a house with an historical marker in
            front commemorating that house as where Polk and his cohorts made the
            decision to establish the University of the South.
            Andy

            gary fredrickson wrote:

            > Looking for any info i can get on Bishop Leonidas Polk. But what i'd
            > really like is any info i can get about his life as a man of the
            > cloth. Any help or advice as to where i should go would be very much
            > appreciated. Gary
            > [Click Here for Move.com!]
            > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
          • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2000

              gary fredrickson wrote:

              > Looking for any info i can get on Bishop Leonidas Polk. But what i'd
              > really like is any info i can get about his life as a man of the
              > cloth. Any help or advice as to where i should go would be very much
              > appreciated. Gary
              > [Click Here for Move.com!]
              > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
            • Mike Yuhas
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2000
                Try Joseph Parks' - Leonidas Polk - The Fighting Bishop. It's about fifteen dollars on any internet bookstore.

                Mike
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2000

                • ECM777@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 7, 2000
                    Gary,

                    The Univerisity of the South does have a website, if you haven't already
                    found it. It is Sewanee.edu. Not sure how much info they have on Polk. I
                    didn't have time to research it. However, as before mentioned the book
                    "General Leonidas Polk, C.S.A. The Fighting Bishop" by Joseph H. Parks is
                    the best source I'm aware of.

                    Colleen
                  • ECM777@aol.com