[civilwarwest] Re: Battle of Franklin, Tennessee (Nov 1864) --- Artillery Engaged in Battle

  • Wayne Mulig
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2000
      Thanks Andy.

      Could you stir me to your sources? I think you are very right about the
      1st Kentucky ... from what I gather (without knowing the identity of the
      battery) ... the guns were captured by the Confederates quite early in the
      breech of the Union lines ... but were not used by the Southerners against
      the Blue lines ... Have read conflicting reports on Confederate artillery
      ... Hood at one point seems to hint that more artillery was available, but
      for fear of hitting civilians within Franklin, they weren't used .... sounds
      like a "cover-up" after the fact to me ...*S* ...

      Again, thanks Andy,

      Sincerely,

      Wayne Mulig

    • Wayne Mulig
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2000
        Thanks Andy.

> [...]

        >matter
        > >
        > > Sincerely,
        > >
        > > Wayne Mulig
        >

        >Hi Wayne.... Good protocal and questions. Welcome.
        >
        >In front of the Cotton Gin was a section of Baldwins 6th Ohio Battery
        >(2 12 pounders). Near the Pike was Thomasson's 1st Kentucky Battery
        >(rifled guns). I don't believe this unit fired much, if at all. They
        >abandoned their guns when Wagner's men came pouring through the
        >Turnpike gap with Cleburne on his heels. To the west of the smokehouse
        >was a section of the 1st Ohio light and the 20th Ohio (6 12 pounders),
        >all commanded by Charles Scovill during the fight. The only
        >Confederate artillery unit I know of that was engaged was a section of
        >Guibors Missouri Battery (Storr's battalian, Stewarts Corp). They fired
        >off a few rounds early but I'm not sure where they were posted. Talk to

      • Andy Berstel
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
          "wayne mulig" <twmuli-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=663
          > Thanks Andy.
          >
          > Could you stir me to your sources? I think you are very right about
          the
          > 1st Kentucky ... from what I gather (without knowing the identity of
          the
          > battery) ... the guns were captured by the Confederates quite early
          in the
          > breech of the Union lines ... but were not used by the Southerners
          against
          > the Blue lines ... Have read conflicting reports on Confederate
          artillery
          > ... Hood at one point seems to hint that more artillery was
          available, but
          > for fear of hitting civilians within Franklin, they weren't used ....
          sounds
          > like a "cover-up" after the fact to me ...*S* ...
          >
          > Again, thanks Andy,
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Wayne Mulig

          Wayne,

          Sorry for the delay....been away for a few days. The two books I
          used for sources were "The Confederacys Last Hurrah" by Wiley Sword and
          "Shrouds of Glory" by Winston Groom (of Forrest Gump fame). Grooms book
          was more fun to read but supposedly has more innaccuracies. Yes... the
          Kentucky 1st guns were captured early. They were turned, but couldn't
          be fired. I've read two reasons for this; either they were spiked or
          the confederates couldn't find any primers. I think if they were spiked
          they wouldn't have bothered turning them in the first place but who
          knows. I'd be interested in YOUR source on Hood's views on the use of
          his artillery there. 3 months earlier, when the shoe was on the other
          foor at Atlanta, Hood was incensed at Sherman for shelling the town and
          killing civilians. You'd think Shermans reply, basically that Hood
          holing his army up in the town made it fair game, would have made Hood
          a little less sensitive as to the plight of civilians in Franklin. Then
          again Franklin was secesh.

          Regards,

          Andy
        • Andy Berstel
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
              Andy,

              Have been reading about Atlanta Campaign and Franklin a lot lately and
              almost couldn't find the statement I had mentioned. I did find it in Five
              Tragic Hours: The Battle of Franklin by James L. McDonough and Thomas L.
              Connelly ... On page 65 of that work they discuss the careless behavior of
              Hood in attacking without S.D. Lee's Corps and most of the Army's artillery
              ... "Later, in his memoirs, Hood maintained that he deliberately avoided
              using artillery at Franklin because it would have posed a threat to women in
              children in the village. This is sheer fantasy. Hood did use what artillery
              was available in the assault. Two batteries were on the field and one was
              assigned to each corps." [p.65]

              Thus my original question concerning the identity of the two batteries ...
              *S* ...

              I don't have a copy of Hood's memoirs, but think that would be interesting
              to read .... in their book McDonough and Connelly use it to indicate that
              Hood in later years tended to cover his tracks as best as he could .. as did
              many leaders after the passage of time and the stirrings of controversy ...

              Hope this has proved interesting to you ... and again thanks for your help

            • Wayne Mulig
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
                Andy,