[civilwarwest] Bishop Leonidas Polk

  • gary fredrickson
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2000
      Looking for any info i can get on Bishop Leonidas Polk. But what i'd really like is any info i can get about his life as a man of the cloth. Any help or advice as to where i should go would be very much appreciated. Gary
    • gary fredrickson
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2000
        Looking for any info i can get on Bishop Leonidas Polk. But what i'd really like is any info i can get about his life as a man of the cloth. Any help or advice as to where i should go would be very much appreciated. Gary
      • Clyde Thompson
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2000
          Good morning Gary:
          Im afraid I've turn my back on the Bishop,
          in more ways then one.Will hit the books see if
          I can come up with anything. Clyde

          =====
          Clyde
          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Clyde Thompson

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2000
              Back again Gary,
              Since we are talking Bishops,Thought I
              would throw in a story from the 78 th PVI
              Colonel Sirwell commander had appointed a
              Father Richard Christy a catholic as chaplain
              Most of the boys were Protestant, so it didn't
              set well. Christy won their hearts, and was
              known to even grab a rifle to help out.
              Clyde

              =====
              Clyde
              http://im.yahoo.com
            • Clyde Thompson
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2000
                Back again Gary,
                Since we are talking Bishops,Thought I
                would throw in a story from the 78 th PVI
                Colonel Sirwell commander had appointed a
                Father Richard Christy a catholic as chaplain
                Most of the boys were Protestant, so it didn't
                set well. Christy won their hearts, and was
                known to even grab a rifle to help out.
                Clyde

                =====
                Clyde
                http://im.yahoo.com
              • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2000
                  Gary:
                  Don't know a lot about Polk, but I would guess that quite a bit of
                  information about him could be found at the University of the South in
                  Sewanee TN. Don't know if they have a website or if their library does,
                  but since he founded the place I assume they have some materials related
                  to him. As a side note, one day I was in Chattanooga and had some time
                  on my hands. Went for a drive on Missionary Ridge and somewhere (I
                  could never find it again) found a house with an historical marker in
                  front commemorating that house as where Polk and his cohorts made the
                  decision to establish the University of the South.
                  Andy

                  gary fredrickson wrote:

                  > Looking for any info i can get on Bishop Leonidas Polk. But what i'd
                  > really like is any info i can get about his life as a man of the
                  > cloth. Any help or advice as to where i should go would be very much
                  > appreciated. Gary
                  > [Click Here for Move.com!]
                  > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
                • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 6, 2000

                    gary fredrickson wrote:

                    > Looking for any info i can get on Bishop Leonidas Polk. But what i'd
                    > really like is any info i can get about his life as a man of the
                    > cloth. Any help or advice as to where i should go would be very much
                    > appreciated. Gary
                    > [Click Here for Move.com!]
                    > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
                  • Mike Yuhas
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 6, 2000
                      Try Joseph Parks' - Leonidas Polk - The Fighting Bishop. It's about fifteen dollars on any internet bookstore.

                      Mike
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 6, 2000

                      • ECM777@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 7, 2000
                          Gary,

                          The Univerisity of the South does have a website, if you haven't already
                          found it. It is Sewanee.edu. Not sure how much info they have on Polk. I
                          didn't have time to research it. However, as before mentioned the book
                          "General Leonidas Polk, C.S.A. The Fighting Bishop" by Joseph H. Parks is
                          the best source I'm aware of.

                          Colleen
                        • ECM777@aol.com