[civilwarwest] Timelines

  • The Coys
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2000
      Hello all;
      We have been pretty quiet of late but I know you are all
      still out there. :) I have been working on/researching the
      timeline of September 20, 1863. I realize that times were not
      as exact as they are today. To all you old warriors we now
      realize the importance of Zulu time. :) Anyway, in my search, I
      am amazed of the relatively short time interval that things
      actually happened at Chickamauga.

      First of all, I find it amazing that the 'Generals' were able
      to control so many men in the way that they did. Imagine
      directing 50,000 +/- warriors without the advantage of our modern
      communications. A difficult if not impossible task at best.

      Chickamauga is a prime example that by the time an order
      arrived to a commander, i.e. to Brannan, the situation
      dramatically had changed from the original intent of the order.
      In this example, at the time the request for Brannan to reinforce
      Thomas was requested, the time was approximately 10:45 a.m.,
      Brannan was not engaged. By the time Brannan received the order
      he was engaged and then unable to pull out of the line.

      During this time, approximately between 10:45 and 11:00 a.m.,
      It was believed that there was a hole in the Union line and Wood
      was ordered to the left to 'fall in on and support' upon the
      left. By the time Wood received the order and decided to act upon
      the order and began the movement to the left, Longstreet's boys
      began there attack, at what I believe to be at around 11:15.

      What I am trying to say here in my constant quest to act as a
      Rosecrans apologist :) is that the order to move Wood to the left
      was a valid order at the time it was issued. It just happened to
      coincide with Longstreet's movement. Everything happened within
      approximately 30 to 45 minutes and without today's modern
      communications could not have been prevented.

      What say y'all? Have you considered the times that things
      happened?

      Your obedient Servant,

      Kevin S. Coy
    • The Coys
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2000
[...]

      • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 29, 2000
          Kevin:
          Good points. One thing that I really learned from Cozzens' "This
          Terrible Sound" was the disjointed nature of the fighting at
          Chickamauga, at least on the first day (19 Sept.). If you've ever been
          to the field, you can see how impossible it must have been to coordinate
          the efforts of different units. I am fascinated by the psychology of
          command in the war, and can only wonder at the pressure Rosecrans must
          have been under: out of immediate contact with most of your troops, not
          knowing where the enemy was exactly or where he was heading. Must have
          been like playing poker where the stakes were the lives of the men under
          you. And to have to do it on that field of battle must have made it
          many times worse. The stress must have been unbelievable.
          Andy

          The Coys wrote:

          > Hello all;
          > We have been pretty quiet of late but I know you are all
          > still out there. :) I have been working on/researching the
          > timeline of September 20, 1863. I realize that times were not
          > as exact as they are today. To all you old warriors we now
          > realize the importance of Zulu time. :) Anyway, in my search, I
          > am amazed of the relatively short time interval that things
          > actually happened at Chickamauga.
          >
          > First of all, I find it amazing that the 'Generals' were able
          > to control so many men in the way that they did. Imagine
          > directing 50,000 +/- warriors without the advantage of our modern
          > communications. A difficult if not impossible task at best.
          >
          > Chickamauga is a prime example that by the time an order
          > arrived to a commander, i.e. to Brannan, the situation
          > dramatically had changed from the original intent of the order.
          > In this example, at the time the request for Brannan to reinforce
          > Thomas was requested, the time was approximately 10:45 a.m.,
          > Brannan was not engaged. By the time Brannan received the order
          > he was engaged and then unable to pull out of the line.
          >
          > During this time, approximately between 10:45 and 11:00 a.m.,
          > It was believed that there was a hole in the Union line and Wood
          > was ordered to the left to 'fall in on and support' upon the
          > left. By the time Wood received the order and decided to act upon
          > the order and began the movement to the left, Longstreet's boys
          > began there attack, at what I believe to be at around 11:15.
          >
          > What I am trying to say here in my constant quest to act as a
          > Rosecrans apologist :) is that the order to move Wood to the left
          > was a valid order at the time it was issued. It just happened to
          > coincide with Longstreet's movement. Everything happened within
          > approximately 30 to 45 minutes and without today's modern
          > communications could not have been prevented.
          >
          > What say y'all? Have you considered the times that things
          > happened?
          >
          > Your obedient Servant,
          >
          > Kevin S. Coy

          > FindLaw is the Internet's best destination for free legal
          > information! Take advantage of this offer and go to
          > Findlaw.com now!
          >
          > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/
        • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 29, 2000