[civilwarwest] Whitworth Rifles

  • Hugh Martyr
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 18, 2000
      I will do some research on the Manufacturer of the Whitworth Armaments. My first belief is that they were most likely in Birmingham where most British guns were made up to WW II. If not I'll still find out something there as the Government proof office is there, where all British made weapons have to be tested and receive a proof mark. I will get back to you in due course.
      Hugh
    • Hugh Martyr
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 22, 2000
        On 18th Jan I promised to do some research on the Whitworth Rifles which was used in the War. It has taken time..I apologise.
            In 1853 the British Government asked Sir Joseph Whitworth who was a leading engineer that had invented new measuring equipment, for advice on improving the accuracy of the standard Enfield Rifle. He was required to keep the same bullet weight and charge, that was a 530 grain bullet charged with 70 grains of powder. He first altered the shape of the bullet; from.568in (14.4mm) before expansion, to .45in (11.43mm) and the length from .875in (22..2mm) to 1.375 in ( 34.7mm). The Whitworth barrel had a much improved rifling making a turn in 20 in with a hexagonal cross-section with rounded corners. The weapon was three times as accurate as the standard issue Enfield with open sights. With telescopic sighting was the first real snipers weapon. However dispite winning European shooting competitions it had military setbacks. The powder provided was of generally poor standard and the rifle thus fouled a lot ( due to the hexagonal shape) also due to the high barrel pressure the nipples eroded rapidly and had to be bushed, or lined, with platinum. But it had no rival for accuracy between 1860 -1867.
            His patent was used by British Arms Manufacturers, and used in the making of artillery pieces, however, although highly accurate the breach loading weapons proved to be dangerous in use if substandard ammunition was used. The Royal Navy suspended use of the naval guns due to barrel failures.
            Whitworth Rifles are still used today in competition in England and fetch a large some when and if they get onto the market.
            I believe that someone queried whether or not some General had been shot by a Whitworth. They were sold to both sides and in the right hands would have proved very effective. I don't suppose they noted the caliber of the bullet?
        I remain etc.
        Hugh R Martyr.
      • Hartshje@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 22, 2000
          Hugh,

          Thank you for your enlightenment on the Whitworth rifle. I found it very interesting, and appreciate your research into the matter. I had originally asked about the rifle because I had previously only known about the artillery pieces, and did not know of the existence of these special rifles.

          I believe the General in question was John Reynolds, killed at Gettysburg (supposedly by a sharpshooter, but not proven). All accounts I have ever read indicated the fateful bullet was a Minie` ball. I don't know if that was proven fact, or just supposition. Anyway, thanks again.

          Respectfully,
          J. Hartshorn
        • Hartshje@aol.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 22, 2000
              Some think that the General killed by a Whitworth was General Sedgwick at
              Battle of Spotsylvania Court House. His last words were "They can't hit an
              elephant at that distance."

              > Thank you for your enlightenment on the Whitworth rifle. I found it very
              interesting, and appreciate your research into the matter. I had originally
              asked about the rifle because I had previously only known about the
              artillery pieces, and did not know of the existence of these special rifles.

              > I believe the General in question was John Reynolds, killed at Gettysburg
              (supposedly by a sharpshooter, but not proven). All accounts I have ever
              read indicated the fateful bullet was a Minie` ball. I don't know if that
              was proven fact, or just supposition. Anyway, thanks again.

              > Respectfully,
              > J. Hartshorn

              > -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=civilwarwest&m=1

            • CLAYTON BRANNON