[civilwarwest] Perryville

  • Jlb4tlb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 14, 2000
      Greetings All

      I am interested in doing some reading on The Battle of Perryville Ky.
      The 79th Pa. is the unit that I am most interested in finding more out, the
      79th Pa. is my hometown unit.

      So, what are the best books on Perryville? Also, are there any good
      spots to see the field. BTW please let me know who you are by signing your
      post.

      Jeff Burk
    • Norris Darrall
      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 3, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, basecat1@... wrote:

        >> Have been there once, and took a tour of the field on a Tractor
        of all
        > things. Was very impressed with what I saw, and when I made the
        visit, they were
        > just in the process of acquiring more of the land on which the
        battle was
        > fought. Had lunch outside the Bottom House there, and heard a
        lecture in a
        > church, which name escapes me, but was there during the battle,
        and served as a
        > hospital after the fighting was over.
        >
        > Hope all are well.
        >
        > Regards from the Garden State,
        >
        > Steve Basic

        I was there for a similiar presentation by Ed Bearss and Kent
        Masterson Brown a few years back. Only I was in wool and working a
        gun but that got free lunch and admission to the Bearss and Brown
        lectures. Well worth it. Thanks for changing the subject header.

        If in Kentucky, add Camp Nelson to your visit list. Just south of
        Nicholasville and about half-hour east of Perryville. Was the
        largest logistics base in Kentucky during the war and was mostly a
        farm field for the next 150 years. Officers quarters and
        reconstructed redoubt with sometimes living history in the redoubt
        with the 12th USCT manning the 12# Nap.