[civilwarwest] INFO or books

  • turnierwa@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2000
      I have been reading your postings and everyone who has posted seem to
      know the west and other subjects very well. I want to know if they are
      some books or diaries that someone might know of that will describe the
      life of a guard of a prison in the south, preferable Salisbury or
      Andersonville. I have looked at rebel Watchdogs and the other major
      books concerning POW's. I don't know where to go from here. can
      people either give me names of regiments or individuals how have
      published a book people. I would be for ever in your debt and if I
      find something interesting I will share it with the group first.
    • turnierwa@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2000
          The Last Depot is the best to date on Andersonville.  Although I don't remember the author's name, I have the book and can provide the particulars.  If you want to branch out, start with his bibliography.  From what I recall, it included a good variety of sources.

          turnierwa@... wrote:

          I have been reading your postings and everyone who has posted seem to
          know the west and other subjects very well. I want to know if they are
          some books or diaries that someone might know of that will describe the
          life of a guard of a prison in the south, preferable Salisbury or
          Andersonville.  I have looked at rebel Watchdogs and the other major
          books concerning POW's.  I don't know where to go from here.  can
          people either give me names of regiments or individuals how have
          published a book people.  I would be for ever in your debt and if I
          find something interesting I will share it with the group first.

          Shop for your Valentine at eGroups!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/1157/1/_/14182/_/950204364/

          -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=civilwarwest&m=1

        • B. Cavendish

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2000
              The Last Depot was written by William Marvel, University of North Carolina Press.  Excellent book.

              Pat

              turnierwa@... wrote:

              I have been reading your postings and everyone who has posted seem to
              know the west and other subjects very well. I want to know if they are
              some books or diaries that someone might know of that will describe the
              life of a guard of a prison in the south, preferable Salisbury or
              Andersonville.  I have looked at rebel Watchdogs and the other major
              books concerning POW's.  I don't know where to go from here.  can
              people either give me names of regiments or individuals how have
              published a book people.  I would be for ever in your debt and if I
              find something interesting I will share it with the group first.

              Shop for your Valentine at eGroups!
              http://click.egroups.com/1/1157/1/_/14182/_/950204364/

              -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=civilwarwest&m=1

              Click Here for Move.com!