[civilwarwest] Fort Pillow Closing

  • Michael C. Hardy
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2000
      Greetings!

      A friend who works for the Tennessee State park system told me on Monday
      that Fort Pillow, along with several other Tennessee State parks, are on a
      list to be closed. No matter what side of the issue (concerning the battle)
      that you take, it is a historically significant piece of Civil War ground.
      I'll be following this up with information on who to contact. You may want
      to check out issues of the Nashville or Memphis newspapers. And, there may
      be some members out there who are better informed about this than I . I
      just don't seem to recall this being brought up on the discuss.

      Your servant,
      Michael C. Hardy
      Boone, NC
    • Michael C. Hardy
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2000

      • michael.d.cantor@us.arthurandersen.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2000
          Yes, this article appeared in the February 2nd and 9th on-line edition of the
          Memphis Commercial Appeal. Apparently, considering the high maintenance costs
          and low attendance associated with Fort Pillow and 7 other parks slated for
          closing, the Governor sees no alternative. The article on the 2nd describes how
          Governor Sundquist has ordered this as a "cost-cutting measure" only, and that
          the parks' closings are the "best-case scenario". However, as the article on
          the 9th demonstrates, various legislators in the State house are vehemently
          opposed to such a measure and will try to fight it.

          The articles can be ordered from the Commercial Appeal for $1.95 at
          www.gomemphis.com

          Hope this helps.

          Take care,

          Mike Cantor

          To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
          cc: (bcc: Michael D. Cantor)
          Date: 02/10/2000 08:18 AM
          From: mchardy@...
          Subject: [civilwarwest] Fort Pillow Closing

          Greetings!

          A friend who works for the Tennessee State park system told me on Monday
          that Fort Pillow, along with several other Tennessee State parks, are on a
          list to be closed. No matter what side of the issue (concerning the battle)
          that you take, it is a historically significant piece of Civil War ground.
          I'll be following this up with information on who to contact. You may want
          to check out issues of the Nashville or Memphis newspapers. And, there may
          be some members out there who are better informed about this than I . I
          just don't seem to recall this being brought up on the discuss.

          Your servant,
          Michael C. Hardy
          Boone, NC

          Valentine's Day Shopping Made Simple. Click Here!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/1155/1/_/14182/_/950188714/

          eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/

          the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
          In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
          reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to
          Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other
          information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
          firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.
        • michael.d.cantor@us.arthurandersen.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 10, 2000
            Yes, this article appeared in the February 2nd and 9th on-line edition of the
            Memphis Commercial Appeal. Apparently, considering the high maintenance costs
            and low attendance associated with Fort Pillow and 7 other parks slated for
            closing, the Governor sees no alternative. The article on the 2nd describes how
            Governor Sundquist has ordered this as a "cost-cutting measure" only, and that
            the parks' closings are the "best-case scenario". However, as the article on
            the 9th demonstrates, various legislators in the State house are vehemently
            opposed to such a measure and will try to fight it.

            The articles can be ordered from the Commercial Appeal for $1.95 at
            www.gomemphis.com

            Hope this helps.

            Take care,

            Mike Cantor

            To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
            cc: (bcc: Michael D. Cantor)

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 11, 2000
              Does anyone else know what the other parks slated to be closed are?

              Thanks

              Andy Swanson
              A.K.A James Muir, 6th Tennessee Inf

            • Andrew Swanson