Military Politics--LBJ's Silver Star

  • josepharose@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2001
      Although the only connection to the Western Theatre is a Chattanooga
      medal-of-honor winner's son, let me encourage you to look out for a
      CNN article which should be replayed for the next several days.

      It seems that there is some question concerning the award of a Silver
      Star--mentioned as being the third highest combat honor--to Lyndon
      Johnson for being a passenger on a bomber which may, or may not have,
      been under attack by Japanese fighters over New Guinea.

      The article noted that, even if everything which LBJ's supporters say
      was true actually happened, there would be no reason to give him the
      star. Very possibly, he didn't even see combat as a passenger.
      There was a suggestion that, as a congressman, LBJ was given the
      award by Doug MacArthur, in return for LBJ's political support in
      Congress and his influence with FDR.

      Joseph
    • dmercado@worldnet.att.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2001
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:
        > It seems that there is some question concerning the award of a
        Silver
        > Star--mentioned as being the third highest combat honor--to Lyndon
        > Johnson for being a passenger on a bomber which may, or may not
        have,
        > been under attack by Japanese fighters over New Guinea.
        >
        > The article noted that, even if everything which LBJ's supporters
        say
        > was true actually happened, there would be no reason to give him
        the
        > star. Very possibly, he didn't even see combat as a passenger.
        > There was a suggestion that, as a congressman, LBJ was given the
        > award by Doug MacArthur, in return for LBJ's political support in
        > Congress and his influence with FDR.
        >
        > Joseph

        Hey, Dugout Doug would never do such an obvious political thing.
        Besides it's dangerous just riding in a B-24. Anyway didn't Doug get
        the Medal of Honor for riding in a PT boat? <smile>. Best regards,
        Dave
      • thecoys@together.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2001
          Mr. Rose,

          You are WAY out of line.

          Kevin S. Coy

        • CashG79@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2001
            In a message dated 7/8/2001 9:25:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            josepharose@... writes:

            << It seems that there is some question concerning the award of a Silver
            Star--mentioned as being the third highest combat honor--to Lyndon
            Johnson for being a passenger on a bomber which may, or may not have,
            been under attack by Japanese fighters over New Guinea.

            The article noted that, even if everything which LBJ's supporters say
            was true actually happened, there would be no reason to give him the
            star. Very possibly, he didn't even see combat as a passenger.
            There was a suggestion that, as a congressman, LBJ was given the
            award by Doug MacArthur, in return for LBJ's political support in
            Congress and his influence with FDR. >>

            This incident was addressed by H. R. McMasters in his book, _Dereliction of
            Duty_ concerning how the US got involved in combat in Vietnam.

            "After gaining a commission as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy, he
            secured from President Roosevelt an assignment to the Pacific as part of a
            three-man observation team. One of Roosevelt's aides wrote in his diary that
            Johnson was anxious to be in a danger zone to enhance his appeal to the
            electorate. On June 9, 1942, Johnson got his wish. He rode on a B-26
            bombing run from an airfield in New Guinea. While approaching the target
            area, Johnson's plane experienced a mechanical malfunction and came under
            attack from Japanese fighters. The pilot nursed the aircraft back to base
            and landed it smoothly on the runway. The plane to which Johnson had
            initially been assigned was not as fortunate and crashed into the ocean,
            killing the entire crew and one of his fellow observers, Lt. Col. Francis
            Stevens, who had taken Johnson's seat. The next day Johnson headed for home.
            During a brief stopover in Australia, Johnson and his surviving fellow
            observer met the commander of the Southwest Pacific Theater, Gen. Douglas
            MacArthur. MacArthur told Johnson that he was awarding him the Silver Star
            Medal for gallantry during his ride on the B-26 bomber. No other crew
            member, not even the pilot who landed the crippled plane, received a
            decoration. A week after his return to the United States, LBJ was out of
            uniform and back in the House of Representatives."

            H. R. McMaster, _Dereliction of Duty: Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, The
            Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies that Led to Vietnam,_ Harper Collins,
            1997, pages 50-51.

            McMasters also details Johnson's subsequent misrepresentations of his war
            experience as a "suicide mission" and saying he had come under fire "every
            day for a time."

            Regards,
            Cash
          • ParrotheadDan@avenew.com