[civilwarwest] 29th Wisconsin Volunteer Inf.

  • Terry Arliskas
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 1999
      Good morning -

      I'm very interested in hearing from those with information or an interest in
      the following:

      - 29th Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers. Raised during Lincoln's second call
      for volunteers in Aug. 62 for three years. Composed of companies from five
      counties in south-central Wisconsin. Sent south to Helena, Ark. in Nov. 62
      where the enlisted men suffered miserably under Gen. Willis Gorman while
      chasing guerillas around Miss. and Ark. while the officers profited in
      cotton speculation. Assigned to the 1st Brigade (along with the 11th, 24th,
      34th & (later) 46th Indiana Regiments), 12th Division, 13th Army Corp. Were
      the first regiment to land at Bruinsburg on April 30, 1863, and were in the
      forefront at the Battle of Port Gibson. Served gallantly at Champion's Hill
      (Baker's Creek) on May 16, 1863, where the brigade took 26 4/5 percent
      casualties and took the brunt of the days fighting. Spent 64 days in the
      trenches at Vicksburg, then participated in the Jackson campaign.
      Participated in the Texas campaign which amounted to little, then the
      ill-fated Red River Campaign of 1864. Details from the Reg. assisted Col.
      Bailey in building the dam. Five companies of the Reg. were totally routed
      at Sabine Cross Roads, but rallied at Pleasant Hill. Wound up the war at
      Mobile, Al. (Spanish Fort & Fort Blakely);

      - Cotton speculation in the trans-mississippi;

      - Vicksburg Campaign - especially battles of Port Gibson, Magnolia Church &
      especially Champions Hill. Largely overlooked by CW historians, but every
      bit as bloody and strategically decisive as big eastern battles;

      - Red River Campaign; and

      - animosity between Eastern and Western soldiers. They fought each other
      as much as they fought secesh.

      I know it's a long list, but I'm hoping some of you may be as interested as
      I in these events. Being a life-long Wisconsinite, I get so sick of hearing
      about the fabled "Iron Brigade" all the time. There were 53 OTHER infantry
      regiments from Wisconsin. Besides, if the 2nd, 6th or 7th Wis. had been
      sent west, they would have been just another Wisconsin regiment (says ME!).

      Thanks much.

      Terry Arliskas
      29WVI

    • Terry Arliskas