Catton compares Western and Eastern armies

  • Joel Wolford
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2001
      Catton is a great writer....good scholarship combined with literary talent.
      I recall that in one of his books, he compared and contrasted the soldiers
      of the AoT, AoP, and Army of the Cumberland.....pointing out the differences
      in dress, marching, and discipline.....and remarking that it was not
      entirely a difference in geography(although that did have a lot of
      influence) that accounted for it, as some states(notably, Ohio) had troops
      in all three. This is to the best of my recollection, as it has been some
      time since I read the book. (I can't remember the title, I'll have to dig
      the book up. In storage since I moved.)

      Joel Wolford