Thomas' Big-Top

  • josepharose@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2001
      I had always read that Sherman discouraged the carrying of wall-tents
      and other equipage during the campaign for Atlanta. He then seemed
      to make fun of Thomas who, with his staff, kept their tents and
      accoutrements. (I wouldn't deny that Thomas liked to live well.)
      Thomas' collection of tents was supposedly called "Tom Town."

      How ironic when, in reading Shanks' book of personal recollections,
      the author noted on page 77: "The campaign began, and Sherman made
      several days' march without his tent, sleeping any where that night
      overtook him, but before reaching Resaca he was very glad to take up
      his abode near Thomas' headquarters, and make use of his tents and
      adjutant general's office."

      Joseph