Re: Phil Sheridan

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2001
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:

      > Grant took Baldy Smith and Phil Sheridan east with him. Why he
      > made Little Phil a cavalry commander, I couldn't say.

      Sheridan's first command was a cavalry command.

      Sheridan had a couple of things I think Grant held in high esteem.
      First, he had a well-rounded background, having served in staff, as
      well as infantry and cavalry assignments. Second, he'd served in the
      quartermaster area, and understood logistics. This was something
      that Grant, Sherman and Sheridan all had in common. And finally, he
      was obnoxiously aggressive, a trait certainly admired by Grant.

      Dave

      Dave Smith
      Villa Hills, KY