Re: Steele Bayou and Yazoo Pass

  • carlw4514@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2001
      Glad you enjoyed. Washburn shows up in my sources grousing about
      Grant's failures to his congressman brother, just at the end of these
      two events; but apparently did not participate in either expedition.
      Foote has him attached to McPherson, who was set to follow the Yazoo
      Pass expedition with his entire Corp. As far as I can tell they were
      never ordered up. The only infantry commander I see mentioned is
      Quinby, with troops transported in from Helena, in a second attempt
      at Fort Pemberton that was aborted.
      As for Cannae, the situation was this, to abbreviate it:
      Hannibal faced the Romans with a crescent-shape formation which he
      allowed to bend as the Romans attacked in the center, the Romans
      trying to break it. It held, and Hannibal closed the end of the now U-
      shaped formation with his cavalry. I may be using the wrong term to
      say "encirclement," but I was trying to point out the parallel with
      other situations in which the supply line of the opponent has been
      cut. What I don't know is how this obviously undesirable situation
      was different in those days vs the ACW, in that vast amounts of
      munitions did not need to be constantly resupplied in 200 BC warfare.

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:

      [snipped] "... wasn't Cadwallader Colden
      Washburn the army commmander of the the Yazoo Pass expedition? .."
      "... I had always thought that Cannae was an example of double
      envelopment--as opposed to encirclement."