Fw: [Antietamdiscussion] Our South Australian ACW ..22ndMass .. Peter Martyn/Martin

  • Jenny Holder
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2001
      Wakefield,
      Oh, it hasn't been quiet and I have been so busy catching up with emails etc .Here is something a little interesting that I found over here even if it is not Western Theatre material.I have to briefly report about our ACWRTA conference too and haven't the time to do so.
      Jenny

      Hi all,

       This is our Sth Australian ACW .Apparently he .jumped ship (Nth Carolina) in Sydney and died in Berri 1922 aged 74 ( Sth Australia.)
      Originally from Antibes and his name was CRESP and there is a town named after his family in France near Grasse called CRESP.
      It was thought that he went from France to Louisianna,joined the Confederate then went to Boston and then swapped and joined the 22nd Mass Infantry then changed to the Naval.
      He used the name Peter Martyn or at times spelt Martin.

      John Spencer here is going to Antibes next week to trace and find out more of his roots.BTW he is not related to Paul Spencer here in Adelaide either.
      This was what John Spencer told me last night when I went and met him.  A very interesting chap who had lived and travelled globally and he traced the grave of Breaker Morant and this weekend, he will give a talk about "rifles" used at the Boer War etc.
      Presently he is in to the Zulus.He has a very diversified interest
      Jenny