[civilwarwest] Battle of Champion Hill/Baker's Creek

  • dkiely@bledsoe.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2000
      Am interested in any suggestions about articles/books that might have
      detailed information about the battle of Champion Hill. Have read
      descriptions in survey works (like Foote, Ward, and various battlefield
      guides) that describe it as the key to the Vicksburg campaign and would
      like to know more.

      Thank you

      Denis Kiely
    • dkiely@bledsoe.net

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2000
          Denis,
          There are several works that give a good, and fairly detailed
          description of the battle of Champion's Hill. I recommend James R. Arnold's
          "Grant Wins the War." In my opinion, it is a very accurate study of the
          campaign, including Champion's Hill, and also Port Gibson. Ed Bearss'
          trilogy is extremely detailed, very accurate, but often laborious to read.
          Either of these two accounts should give you an insightful look at the
          battle. In Bearss' trilogy, Champion Hill is covered in volume two.

          Dameron McRaven
          > Am interested in any suggestions about articles/books that might have
          > detailed information about the battle of Champion Hill. Have read
          > descriptions in survey works (like Foote, Ward, and various battlefield
          > guides) that describe it as the key to the Vicksburg campaign and would
          > like to know more.
          >
          > Thank you
          >
          > Denis Kiely

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=civilwarwest&m=1

        • Dameron McRaven

            > Am interested in any suggestions about articles/books that might have
            > detailed information about the battle of Champion Hill. Have read
            > descriptions in survey works (like Foote, Ward, and various battlefield
            > guides) that describe it as the key to the Vicksburg campaign and would
            > like to know more.
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > Denis Kiely

            > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=civilwarwest&m=1

          • Dick Weeks
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2000
              Denis,

              The May/June 1991 issue of Civil War Times Illustrated has an excellent article in it titled, "A Hill of Death" by L.B. Northrop.  Here's the lead in,

              "Called by some the battle of Bakers Creek, by others the Battle of Champion Hill, it may have been the most important fight of the American Civil War.  It's remembered as the battle the North need to win to achieve ultimate victory.  It's remembered as the battle the South need to win if the Confederacy was to survive.  It's remembered as a savage struggle."

              I will see if it is capable of being scanned so if someone needs it later it will be available. This is a fairly old magazine to find just laying around in a store.  Anyway, my scanner really don't like some of the magazine pages because of the background, but this one looks OK. I'll let everyone know what luck I have.

              Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)