Re: Sherman's deployment at Chattanooga

  • theme_music@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 198 , Jul 1, 2001
      Joseph,

      If you have the OR Map Atlas, Howard's map of the engagement is map 2
      of Plate 49. Looking at this you will see the reasons for my asking
      for clarifiaction of exactly what is meant by Sherman extending his
      left. Davis's request to "turn the enemy's right flank by moving his
      division to its rear" appears to me much easier said than done.

      Eric

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:
      > Concerning the issue of Sherman's use of non-AotT troops at
      > Chattanooga:
      >
      > On Page 189 of "Life of Major General George H. Thomas" by Thomas
      Van

    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 198 of 198 , Sep 4, 2005
        In a message dated 9/4/2005 10:37:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, dan6764@... writes:
        An 1866 document produced by laborers locating bodies on the battlefield stated that the heaviest concentrations of dead lay on the eastern and western sections of the field and that the dead were fairly light in the center where the Hornets Nest was located..
        This may be true Dan, but remember, as soon as the battle ended, Union troops started gathering up their dead as well as Confederate dead.  Those that might have been found after the war was over, were most likely those that were killed in the brush and bramble of the battlefield, whereas, the Hornet's Nest was quite open and bodies were easily found there following the battle.
        Just a thought of common sense with only documentation of them finding and burying the dead following the battle.  IIRC, Grant denied Beauregard  access to Confederate dead, since they already had been gathered up and buried.

        JEJ