Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Snake Creek Gap

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 198 , Jul 1, 2001
      sdwakefield@... writes:

      << lthough I think that there is also some pretty strong evidence that
      Joe Johnston flat did not know of the exsistence of the gap!
      Certainly if this was true , it was totally inexcusable.
      I confess that with the more I study about the Army of Tennessee the
      less of a Joe Johnston fan I become...
      Wakefield

      Steve,
      I don't know what evidence you have, however it appears very unlikely that
      being in Dalton for five months, having troops that lived in that area, and
      with his ability to use signal stations on mountain peaks, that he knew
      nothing about that gap. Failure of Wheeler to guard that gap is more of a
      possible scenario.

      Wayne
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 198 of 198 , Sep 4, 2005
        In a message dated 9/4/2005 10:37:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, dan6764@... writes:
        An 1866 document produced by laborers locating bodies on the battlefield stated that the heaviest concentrations of dead lay on the eastern and western sections of the field and that the dead were fairly light in the center where the Hornets Nest was located..
        This may be true Dan, but remember, as soon as the battle ended, Union troops started gathering up their dead as well as Confederate dead.  Those that might have been found after the war was over, were most likely those that were killed in the brush and bramble of the battlefield, whereas, the Hornet's Nest was quite open and bodies were easily found there following the battle.
        Just a thought of common sense with only documentation of them finding and burying the dead following the battle.  IIRC, Grant denied Beauregard  access to Confederate dead, since they already had been gathered up and buried.

        JEJ