Re: Snake Creek Gap

  • sdwakefield@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 198 , Jul 1, 2001
      Carl-
      A great point! At least in my opinion but it seems to me that the
      risk of detection is much less if only a corps is used..and not the
      whole Army of the Cumberland. I still have a suspicion that the REAL
      fly in the ointment to doing this was that by military protocol (?)
      McPherson might not have been the senior officer and thus the
      commander of the column-- as I have said this is just my 'cracked-
      pot' idea I could be wrong-
      Wakefield

    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 198 of 198 , Sep 4, 2005
        In a message dated 9/4/2005 10:37:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, dan6764@... writes:
        An 1866 document produced by laborers locating bodies on the battlefield stated that the heaviest concentrations of dead lay on the eastern and western sections of the field and that the dead were fairly light in the center where the Hornets Nest was located..
        This may be true Dan, but remember, as soon as the battle ended, Union troops started gathering up their dead as well as Confederate dead.  Those that might have been found after the war was over, were most likely those that were killed in the brush and bramble of the battlefield, whereas, the Hornet's Nest was quite open and bodies were easily found there following the battle.
        Just a thought of common sense with only documentation of them finding and burying the dead following the battle.  IIRC, Grant denied Beauregard  access to Confederate dead, since they already had been gathered up and buried.

        JEJ