Re: Sherman "jealousy" of the AotT

  • sdwakefield@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 198 , Jul 1, 2001
      My gosh wonders will never cease!!! (Very big smile) But I got to
      agree with Mr. Rose on this one! Whether you call it jealousy or
      favoritism I think it is very clear that Sherman felt a strong
      prejudice in favor of McPherson and the presumed greater mobility of
      the Army of the Tennessee over Thomas and the Army of the Cumberland
      though out the North Georgia Campaign. Sometimes I think
      this 'prejudice' (I will call it) resulted in poor military decisions
      by Sherman.
      As may be becoming apparent if Mr. Rose wants to 'tie into' Sherman's
      generalship, as opposed to Grant's, I may be more of an ally!!!
      I still think that Sherman's greatest failing as a military commander
      ( and I personally think there were several) was an inability to
      understnad and utilize cavalry--
      As always I could be wrong---
      However I do welcome the opportunity to agree with Mr. Rose for no
      other reason than to hopefully demonstrate that I hold no personal
      dislike for him as some here apparently think that I do---
      Wakefield
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 198 of 198 , Sep 4, 2005
        In a message dated 9/4/2005 10:37:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, dan6764@... writes:
        An 1866 document produced by laborers locating bodies on the battlefield stated that the heaviest concentrations of dead lay on the eastern and western sections of the field and that the dead were fairly light in the center where the Hornets Nest was located..
        This may be true Dan, but remember, as soon as the battle ended, Union troops started gathering up their dead as well as Confederate dead.  Those that might have been found after the war was over, were most likely those that were killed in the brush and bramble of the battlefield, whereas, the Hornet's Nest was quite open and bodies were easily found there following the battle.
        Just a thought of common sense with only documentation of them finding and burying the dead following the battle.  IIRC, Grant denied Beauregard  access to Confederate dead, since they already had been gathered up and buried.

        JEJ