Re: Request for Information -- Tullahoma?

  • sdwakefield@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
      Folks I hit the post button too early --sorry
      This prior post was an e-mail I got from Red through a Military
      History buff group, and I thought I would post it for you folks to
      possibly respond too since I could not come up with too many titles
      for Red to investigate. It seemed like a particularly timely request
      since it is the first of July.
      The only book I am aware of is a great little one by Bradley (?) on
      the Tullahoma Campaign -- do any of the members know of any other
      sources???
      Regards-
      Wakefield

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., sdwakefield@p... wrote:
      > Every Civil War buff would agree that the period July 1-4, 1863 was
      > decisive one. Alot has been written about both Vicksburg and
      > Gettysburg but I can not find much on Tullahoma the great battle
      that
      > wasn't? It seems that Bragg and Rosecrans were in a position to
      fight
      > yet a third potentially decisive action at Tullahoma on July 1,
      1863,
      > but Bragg's forces retreated.
      > Can anyone provide me some titles or other reading material that
      > tells the story of this Campaign and battle that never occurred?
      > Thanks in advance-
      > Red
    • Lieberum, Steve
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
        there is not very much written about the Tullahoma Campaign, sorry to say.
        When I was doing research for my Chattanooga Campaign class, only found the
        Bradley book, and that was by accident. The book on Wilder's Lightning
        Brigade has some detail in that campaign. Most every thing else I have
        found is normally the first few chapters in any book on Chickamauga.

        Sorry about that,

        Steve Lieberum

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Lieberum, Steve" <selieberum@m...> wrote:
          > there is not very much written about the Tullahoma Campaign, sorry
          > to say.
          > When I was doing research for my Chattanooga Campaign class, only
          > found the
          > Bradley book, and that was by accident. The book on Wilder's
          > Lightning
          > Brigade has some detail in that campaign. Most every thing else I
          > have found is normally the first few chapters in any book on
          > Chickamauga.

          I agree with Steve's comment that there's not much out there.

          I did like Connelly's section on it in Autumn of Glory.

          Dave "caught up now" Smith
        • ecm777@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
            The only thing I could find on the battle of Tullahoma in my library were two
            sources:  The Edge of Glory by Wm. Lamers (Chapter 13) and Civil War Tennessee
            by Thomas Connelly (Chaper 3).  Both of these only have small sections
            mentioning this battle.  Wish I could be of more help.

            Regards
            Colleen aka CWgal
          • LWhite64@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
              Well, even though its not the entire campaign I am working on an article on
              the Battle of Liberty Gap, hope to get it in North and South, they have had
              some good Tullahoma material in the past.  They have had a good account of
              the whole campaign and a nice article on the battle of Guy's Gap and the
              Wheeler Races.

              Lee
            • hartshje@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
                I would like to offer you couple of good writings on the Tullahoma campaign:

                In Shelby Foote's massive trilogy, book two - chapter 7 (Riot and
                Resurgance) has a good description of the campaign on pages 663 - 675.

                Also, in the Time-Life Series "Fight for Chattanooga", chapter 1, pages 1 -
                43 is entirely devoted to Tullahoma, also with some good photos and
                illustrations.

                My favorite aspect of the Tullahoma period was an excerpt from a soldier's
                letter home where he wrote that the name "Tullahoma" came from the Greek
                "tulla" - meaning mud, and "homa" - meaning MORE mud !!

                Best Regards,
                Joe H.