Request for Information -- Tullahoma?

  • sdwakefield@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
      Every Civil War buff would agree that the period July 1-4, 1863 was a
      decisive one. Alot has been written about both Vicksburg and
      Gettysburg but I can not find much on Tullahoma the great battle that
      wasn't? It seems that Bragg and Rosecrans were in a position to fight
      yet a third potentially decisive action at Tullahoma on July 1, 1863,
      but Bragg's forces retreated.
      Can anyone provide me some titles or other reading material that
      tells the story of this Campaign and battle that never occurred?
      Thanks in advance-
      Red
    • sdwakefield@prodigy.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
        Folks I hit the post button too early --sorry
        This prior post was an e-mail I got from Red through a Military
        History buff group, and I thought I would post it for you folks to
        possibly respond too since I could not come up with too many titles
        for Red to investigate. It seemed like a particularly timely request
        since it is the first of July.
        The only book I am aware of is a great little one by Bradley (?) on
        the Tullahoma Campaign -- do any of the members know of any other
        sources???
        Regards-
        Wakefield

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., sdwakefield@p... wrote:
        > Every Civil War buff would agree that the period July 1-4, 1863 was
        > decisive one. Alot has been written about both Vicksburg and
        > Gettysburg but I can not find much on Tullahoma the great battle
        that
        > wasn't? It seems that Bragg and Rosecrans were in a position to
        fight
        > yet a third potentially decisive action at Tullahoma on July 1,
        1863,
        > but Bragg's forces retreated.
        > Can anyone provide me some titles or other reading material that
        > tells the story of this Campaign and battle that never occurred?
        > Thanks in advance-
        > Red
      • Lieberum, Steve
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
          there is not very much written about the Tullahoma Campaign, sorry to say.
          When I was doing research for my Chattanooga Campaign class, only found the
          Bradley book, and that was by accident. The book on Wilder's Lightning
          Brigade has some detail in that campaign. Most every thing else I have
          found is normally the first few chapters in any book on Chickamauga.

          Sorry about that,

          Steve Lieberum

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
            --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Lieberum, Steve" <selieberum@m...> wrote:
            > there is not very much written about the Tullahoma Campaign, sorry
            > to say.
            > When I was doing research for my Chattanooga Campaign class, only
            > found the
            > Bradley book, and that was by accident. The book on Wilder's
            > Lightning
            > Brigade has some detail in that campaign. Most every thing else I
            > have found is normally the first few chapters in any book on
            > Chickamauga.

            I agree with Steve's comment that there's not much out there.

            I did like Connelly's section on it in Autumn of Glory.

            Dave "caught up now" Smith
          • ecm777@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
              The only thing I could find on the battle of Tullahoma in my library were two
              sources:  The Edge of Glory by Wm. Lamers (Chapter 13) and Civil War Tennessee
              by Thomas Connelly (Chaper 3).  Both of these only have small sections
              mentioning this battle.  Wish I could be of more help.

              Regards
              Colleen aka CWgal
            • LWhite64@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
                Well, even though its not the entire campaign I am working on an article on
                the Battle of Liberty Gap, hope to get it in North and South, they have had
                some good Tullahoma material in the past.  They have had a good account of
                the whole campaign and a nice article on the battle of Guy's Gap and the
                Wheeler Races.

                Lee
              • hartshje@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
                  I would like to offer you couple of good writings on the Tullahoma campaign:

                  In Shelby Foote's massive trilogy, book two - chapter 7 (Riot and
                  Resurgance) has a good description of the campaign on pages 663 - 675.

                  Also, in the Time-Life Series "Fight for Chattanooga", chapter 1, pages 1 -
                  43 is entirely devoted to Tullahoma, also with some good photos and
                  illustrations.

                  My favorite aspect of the Tullahoma period was an excerpt from a soldier's
                  letter home where he wrote that the name "Tullahoma" came from the Greek
                  "tulla" - meaning mud, and "homa" - meaning MORE mud !!

                  Best Regards,
                  Joe H.