[civilwarwest] Battle of Nashville

  • pattie@cuci.nl
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 5, 1999
      I'm not that long a member of this group. That's why I did some catch up reading this afternoon. I also read the postings about the battle of Franklin. We all know what happened after that: Hood's devastating defeat at Nashville.

      Something is not clear to me. Why did Hood make the decision to go on to Nashville? I assume he new that the morale of his troops was not high, especially after the Franklin assault. He also saw that the purpose for his push up north - to provoke a countermarch by Sherman down in Georgia - was also not working. I'm not exactly sure he new the odds he would face at Nashville (I believe 24000 Confederate troops against 54000 Union troops, but don't pin me down on that). But I assume he knew that Thomas was gathering forces for quite some time.

      Wasn't it more appropriate for Hood to turn back after Franklin and take a defensive position along the Duck River, as Bragg had done two years before.

      Respectfully,

      Patrick (Pattie) Starmans
    • Stephen Basic
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 5, 1999
        Pattie....Hood actually thought he had "won" the Battle of
        Franklin.....because of the Union Army's retreat from the
        battlefield....In essence he thought he had dealt a crippling blow , and
        intended to follow up his victory by following the retreating enemy to
        Nashville....and set up a siege of the city.....to deal the final
        blow....Just my opinion....

        Steve