[civilwarwest] 17th Wisc Infantry Regt

  • Hugh Martyr
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2000
      During research into the votes cast by Wisconsin regiments in Sherman's Army in the 1864 election, I discovered that only one voted in favour of McCellan; namely the 17th W.V.I and by a high percentage. ( 52 Lincoln / 206 McCellan). All other Wisconsin Regts were in favour of Lincoln by approx the same margin. Could anyone throw light on to why this could be? I am not knowledgable on the political preferences of the State during this period. Could it be due to the area in which this regt came from?  One other regt (15th Mich) voted McCellan. Same reason?
    • Hugh Martyr
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2000