"Sherman: A Soldier's Life"JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GET BACK IN CWWT

  • carlw4514@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 198 , Jun 24, 2001
      Maybe it took Shotgun threatening to call artillery in on his own
      position, but things have been much more civil around here.
      Unfortunately, things could change; see the review at
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31262-2001Jun21.html
      or as I prefer:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A31262-2001Jun21?language=pri
      nter

      Some quotes: "Sherman's aversion to decisive battle..." "...his timid
      protégé, James McPherson..." "Sherman was ruthless against railroad
      tracks; they didn't shoot back." "At least twice Sherman told his
      generals he intended to destroy the enemy, yet in the end he could not
      bring himself to do more than harass and skirmish in order to do yet
      more rail-busting."
      Note well, I haven't read this new book. AS FAR I CAN TELL THESE
      CONTROVERSIAL REMARKS ARE THOSE OF THE REVIEWER (Buell). Maybe we
      should get him to join the group (maybe not!)
      Carl
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 198 of 198 , Sep 4, 2005
        In a message dated 9/4/2005 10:37:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, dan6764@... writes:
        An 1866 document produced by laborers locating bodies on the battlefield stated that the heaviest concentrations of dead lay on the eastern and western sections of the field and that the dead were fairly light in the center where the Hornets Nest was located..
        This may be true Dan, but remember, as soon as the battle ended, Union troops started gathering up their dead as well as Confederate dead.  Those that might have been found after the war was over, were most likely those that were killed in the brush and bramble of the battlefield, whereas, the Hornet's Nest was quite open and bodies were easily found there following the battle.
        Just a thought of common sense with only documentation of them finding and burying the dead following the battle.  IIRC, Grant denied Beauregard  access to Confederate dead, since they already had been gathered up and buried.

        JEJ