After the fall of Vicksburg

  • John Lawrence
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2013
      Hello. Since I took something from. The group, I thought I would give something. I love reading the papers for these sidebar stories; you get a good feel for the citizenry, not just the history book guys.
      I take these stories with the grain of salt. Of course, if the moderator disapproves, I will not repeat the error

      Regards,
      Jack

      August 18th, 1863

      Richmond Daily Dispatch

      Accounts from Mississippi.

      We have two accounts from Mississippi, one from the New Orleans (Yankee) Era, dated the 6th, and the other from a Confederate letter dated Brandon, Miss, the 8th inst. The Era has conversed with an informant just from Jackson, and says:
      ‘ For twelve days he has been travelling in a carriage through the country between Jackson, Miss., and Port Hudson, and during the whole of that time he has not seen or heard of a single rebel soldier. Not even a guerilla can be discovered in that neighborhood. Having an extensive acquaintance among the planters in that vicinity he was enabled to form, from conversations held with them, a pretty correct idea of the amount of cotton still remaining there, and the lowest estimate he makes is 100,000 bales. Three-fourths of this, at least, is owned by the rebel Government, having been bought up by their cotton agents.

      ’ The planters are very much concerned about the cotton-burning order from Secretary Memminger, which we published in Friday evening's edition, and they are exceedingly anxious that a force of United States troops should occupy the country.--Our informant thinks five hundred mounted men could keep the whole region free from straggling guerillas, and thereby save the cotton from destruction. The planters will take the oath with the greatest eagerness to save what little property still remains in their possession, and the majority inwardly pray for the appearance of a regiment of blue coats before it becomes too late.

      All the guerilla bands and small squads of cavalry, after the fall of Port Hudson, were collected and organized into one body, under command of Col. Logan, a cavalry officer of considerable reputation among the Confederates. He concentrated his force a short distance from Clinton, and was here attacked and routed by our cavalry.

      The letter from Brandon says:

      ‘ We have amazing reports from New Orleans. A lady who came in contact with a Yankee General, below here, was told by him that they had very unsatisfactory news. The General would give her no particulars, but he seemed depressed, and the lady was sure some serious thing had happened.

      ’ A gentleman who witnessed the performances of the negro regiments at Port Hudson, says it is all a mistake. The blacks never delivered their fire. They were brought to a certain point twice, and moved off by the flank into the woods. The line was in evident confusion, and many of them were killed. He imagines the negroes were drunk.

      The great fight which the blacks made at Milliken's Bend was a forced fight. They were penned in and shot down, the Yankee gunboats killing as many, to keep them forward, as we did to keep them back. Many of them were drowned by being shoved into the water from the boats on which they sought refuge from the double fire.

      John Spalding <brjohn41@...> wrote:

      Please forgive my ignorance. I realize I am coming in the middle of this discussion.
      How was Grant able to avoid the Confederate interdiction at Chattanooga? I am still not clear on this point.
       Thanks, John S.

      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      From: jlawrence@...
      Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:14:25 -0500
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Tennessee River

      No apologies needed.
      The comments are interesting and insightful.
      Regards,
      Jack

      Sorry, my reply was not clear enough.   Your third question was why didn't Rosecrans use the river to resupply Chattanooga, the answer was the CS interdicted it.   There were guns on Lookout, and pickets and I think a few field pieces along the banks, at least before the end of October.  After the end of October, the RR was open from Nashville.